Have been out of touch past year want to build a Intel system

Status
Not open for further replies.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I have been out of touch with the computer world for about a year.
Last I was in , I was choosing a MB for a Sandy Bridge build. But a natural disaster happened where I live and my thoughts left from that.

What are some good motherboards for building a low midrange to upper midrange gaming machine using Sandy Bridge processors? Should I look at Sandy Bridge E mb?

Solution
Right now you are kind of in between cpu versions. Sandy Bridge (1155) is out and is a great platform for gaming , The Sandy Bridge-E is also out although with a different socket (2011) so it makes you choose a motherboard and cpu between the two. Ivy Bridge is being released very soon and that will also use the 1155 socket at first and then there will be others with a different socket but there will be new chipsets so a new motherboard will also be used if you want the new chipset.
So there is a choice to be made as to what platform you want to go with , if you want to build right now then the Sandy Bridge is ready to go and you can get the i5-2500k with a good inexpensive motherboard like the one nikorr has suggested or you can go...

Hi there g335,

At this point just wait for the SB-E to be deployed, as the SB will get a price break or maybe even SB-E will be some decent choice.

This is decent mobo and it let's u use 2PCI-E x16 for $121.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Right now you are kind of in between cpu versions. Sandy Bridge (1155) is out and is a great platform for gaming , The Sandy Bridge-E is also out although with a different socket (2011) so it makes you choose a motherboard and cpu between the two. Ivy Bridge is being released very soon and that will also use the 1155 socket at first and then there will be others with a different socket but there will be new chipsets so a new motherboard will also be used if you want the new chipset.
So there is a choice to be made as to what platform you want to go with , if you want to build right now then the Sandy Bridge is ready to go and you can get the i5-2500k with a good inexpensive motherboard like the one nikorr has suggested or you can go with the Sandy Bridge-E if you want to spend a lot more.
i5-2500k-$229.99-Sandy Bridge
I7-2600K-$329.99-Sandy Bridge
i7-3930k-$599.99-Sandy Bridge-E
i7-3960X-$1049.99-Sandy Bridge-E

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.