Solved

Advice on a Gaming Mini ITX build (my first)

I want to build a gaming + entertainment center PC that'll connect to my big screen and will fit in a cubicle underneath it (hence the Mini ITX).

Before I tell you what I want in it, I have several concerns that I need help with:
- With a small case, I got a small power supply included with it: 250 watts. Using extreme.outervision's PSU calculator, I built a pretty expensive system that managed to use exactly 250 watts (the calculator recommends a 300 watt or more PSU however, though states 250 is the minimum needed). It seems so close, I'm scared something bad might happen at first boot or later down the line.
- With the above concern in mind, could I use a PSU designed for a MICRO ITX case, inside a Mini ITX case? Both PSU's are the exact same size with same connectors. The reason for the switch is that this other PSU is 300 watts and 80 PLUS certified.

Without further ado:
Approximate Purchase Date: Next week
Budget Range: < $1200
System Usage: Entertainment center (in living room), Gaming
Parts Not Required: Case and GPU already in possession
Preferred Websites for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect
Country of Origin: USA
Overclocking: If PSU permits
SLI or Crossfire: If PSU permits
Monitor Resolution: My LG 46ld550 TV

Parts Preferences:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5770
Mobo: ASUS P8H67-I DELUXE LGA 1155 SATA Mini ITX Motherboard
Optical: SONY SATA DVD-ROM
RAM: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066
HD: WD Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive
Cooling: undecided (but included in TDP wattage calculation)
Case + PSU: APEX MI-100 Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case w/250W Power Supply
Alt PSU: (Replacement PSU) FSP Group 300W Micro ATX 80 PLUS Certified PSU

Additional Comments: I know cooling temperatures will be an issue, but I'll address it after it's built. After getting measurements, I'm certain all components will fit as well. And yes, its so-dimm memory, no joke. Am I missing anything here? Considering the first 2 items on the build and the PSU calculator, will a 300w PSU still be okay?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice gaming mini build first
  1. I'd cut back to the 2500K and change to an HD6850. It uses a lot less power, it would require a larger case however.

Switch to a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 for $39.99 (saves $20) or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for $64.99 (only $5 more)

a G.Skill 8 GB DR3-1333 is $79, much less expensive
  2. Thanks for the quick post. Unfortunately, I am stuck with the case and GPU. Total cost is not really too much of a concern, seeing as that I am still under my projected budget by about $400 I think. Could be more. Will look into the hard drives you suggested though.

I picked the i7 because it seemed like the difference in power consumption between the i5 2500k and i7 2600k seemed negligible. I got the info from here, but I haven't seen very much info on i7 2600k's to support this anywhere else (because it's fairly new I guess). Either way, the option for the i7 wasn't on extreme.outervision's website so I plugged in the i5 anyway for the psu-wattage calculations.
  3. Best answer
    if money isn't a serious concern, try this case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163171
    It's $120 but comes with a 450W PSU that is 80+ Certified, thats $30 more than you were spending so far. The back has2 slots, so it can take a 2-slot wide card like a HD6850.
  4. Thanks! I am still gonna use the original case since it's one of the only that'll fit in my entertainment center, but the case you suggested has just what I needed: a 450w power supply that fits in an Apex MI-100 case. Was able to determine the 450w model being used with a little research.

Here it is:
    SILVERSTONE ST45SF 450W SFX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256063

Thanks for the indirect help!
  5. Best answer selected by konaboy12.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product