ajburnet

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hi all,

Opinions sought please!

My homebuilt PC is, after 3 months running perfectly showing some strange symptoms.

After running at load the following symptoms which appear intermittantly. It ony takes a quick video encoding or 3d test to see the problem. When it happens i generally see the bios screen corrupted (i.e the display on bootup) with strange characters or lines and white blocks. When this happens windows will bue sceen and mac os (dual boot hackintosh) wont boot either. If this happens after successful boot the screen will show artifacts and blocks etc.

I have:

- re seated the grapics card
- run overnight memtest (no errors)
- run furmark, no issues, temp within norms

I have:

- i7 930 (often overclocked but now at stock for test purposes)
With H50 water cooler. Temps at load in low to mid 60s and 31 at idle
- hd 4870 graphics
- 650 w psu
- ssd drive plus 1 650 gb hdd
- gigabyte x58a- ud3r

Given tests im thinking the psu or motherboard / graphics error. All under warranty so trying with difficulty to isolate the likely faulty part.

Anyone (wisers than me) who can suggest the likely culprit?

Thank you!!

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Try using one DIMM of RAM at a time to test the memory again.

If your motherboard has on-board graphics then try removing the 4870. Strange characters sounds weird - could be the GPU corrupting. Although I dont know, just a guess really. But experiencing this problem when you use 3D graphics is a big clue.

You could try using older/newer drivers from http://amd.com

Also don't defrag your SSD (incase you are) this is not necessary on SSD's and can decrease their life-span. But you probably knew that ;)