Help With a Tricky GPU/Mobo Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
:hello: hey guys!

I've been trying to help a buddy via a gaming community forums. He would like to upgrade either his mobo/gpu or both. I've never really seen this issue before--so it's a little odd. I should preface this by saying there is a slight language barrier, as he's German. He speaks English, but as it's not his first language--things become a bit diluted sometimes.

According to CPU-Z he is running an RV620 ATI Radeon HD 3450, which from what I can tell is an AGP video card. Also, according to CPU-Z he is running an Asus "Benecia" board, on the ICH9 and Intel G31/G33/P35 platform chipset. I know it's an HP computer that he's running (Intel Core2Quad 6600). The specs I've been able to dig up on the board point to it being PCI and PCIe...not AGP.

Below I have posted the screenshots he gave me via the forums. Basically, I'm thinking he needs a PCIe video card--and that would be a sufficient enough upgrade; however, if he truly needs an AGP...not only should he get a new mobo to stay current enough graphics-wise...but he would also want the PCIe supprt.

Thoughts? Anyone seen this before? All help appreciated!

Board specs I've found: http://www.algogo.com/store/products/ASUS-IPIBL%252dLA-HP-Compaq-Intel-G33-ICH9R-775-MOTHERBOARD.html

His mobo SS
mainboardscreeng5v0.jpg

His GPU SS
graphicsscreenl6qa.jpg

Solution
That card is PCI-E:

The series saw a half-generation update with die shrink (55 nm) variants: RV670, RV635 and RV620. All variants support PCI Express 2.0, DirectX 10.1 with Shader Model 4.1 features, dedicated ATI Unified Video Decoder (UVD) for all models and PowerPlay technology for desktop video cards.

So he just needs another PCI-E card that will work with his PSU.

Plus to be certain, the board specs say it has PCI-E:

One PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics (for a graphics card)
Two PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
That card is PCI-E:

The series saw a half-generation update with die shrink (55 nm) variants: RV670, RV635 and RV620. All variants support PCI Express 2.0, DirectX 10.1 with Shader Model 4.1 features, dedicated ATI Unified Video Decoder (UVD) for all models and PowerPlay technology for desktop video cards.

So he just needs another PCI-E card that will work with his PSU.

Plus to be certain, the board specs say it has PCI-E:

One PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics (for a graphics card)
Two PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)

Solution

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Thanks man. I saw the same information, but had to be sure. It was an odd situation, and I think the language barrier made it a tad more confusing. Needed a second opinion to be sure. I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.