ASRock A55M-HVS Mobo continuous beep before hitting power switch?

chiefsfan27129

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Can anybody tell me what the continuous beep code (prior to boot) is for this mobo? I can't find it, and the beep is all I'm getting right now. Pushing the power button does nothing.

I'm guessing either bad PSU, bad RAM, or (hopefully not) the board itself is bad - but I'm not sure.

Well , the beep codes are there to alert you to a problem with a piece of hardware so there has to be a problem with something. Is the continuous beep a regular tone or a high picthed one? A comtinuous high pitched beep tone means a cpu problem. Have you gone over everything and made sure everything is pluged in and the video card and ram are seated all the way in? The power plug for the cpu is pluged in? I don't think that a bad psu will cause a beep code.
Acording to your title you are getting the contiuous beep before you push the power button to turn on the Pc? Then as soon as you plug in the psu the beep starts? Sounds like you don't have the power and reset connectors on the right pins on the MB.

chiefsfan27129

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

It's a high pitched tone, but I only started getting it when I decided to make sure the 24pin atx connector was in tight, and pushed down on it a little. If I don't press on it, I don't get anything.

And I thought it might be a cpu problem too, but wouldn't the case fan at least start turning when I hit the power button, even if there was a problem with the CPU?

No , and like I said a high pitched continuous tone is the cpu and it needs to be shut down imediatly when you hear it. If that's what it is and you certianly don't want to take any chances even if it's not that cpu.
Is this a new build?

" If I don't press on it, I don't get anything" Can you explain this a little more by what you mean if you don't press on it you don't get anything?

First thing you can try is test the power supply to make sure that it works.

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-clip-test.pdf

chiefsfan27129

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Yeah, it's a new build. If I don't press down a little on the 24pin atx power connector, I don't get the beep at all. That made me think there might be a short around the 24pin set on the board.

Edit: Given that the beep is quieter than the first time I heard it, I'm beginning to think maybe it's the CMOS battery?

chiefsfan27129

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Update: after clearing the CMOS, the case power button LED and cpu and case fans come on briefly when switching on the power supply, then stop. After this, if I press the power button, the light will stay on, and the fans will come on for .maybe one second, and that's it