Sign in with
Your question

Can you use 2 different GPUs in crossfire mode

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2011 1:56:32 PM

I am planning to upgrade my desktop computer to bring it into the 21st century. I will build my own as I have done it before. I just need to clarify some things:

I have picked out most of my components and plan to use an 'AMD Phenon II X6 3.2GHrz Black Edition' CPU on an 'ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO' Motherboard. The MB is crossfire enabled and has on-board ATI Radeon HD4250 GPU. If I buy a mid rage PCIe x16 Graphics card such as an 'Asus ATI Radeon Formula HD5750'. Then can I use it in CrossFire mode with the MB on-board graphics, or should I just disable the On-Board and stop being such a cheap-scate and buy a decent Graphics card.

I look forward to peoples input, Mark

More about : gpus crossfire mode

January 5, 2011 2:19:05 PM

Hybrid crossfire is pretty specific, you have to match the right board with the right card. This is the latest info I found:

Quote:
Right now the latest generation of Hybrid Crossfire pairs an 890GX or 880G (Radeon HD4290 and HD 4250 respectively) motherboards from the AMD 800 series chipset with an HD 5450 Radeon video card from the HD 5000 Series

I would suggest getting a better card instead of messing with this idea.

As for your new system, you might want to check out the new Intel i5/i7 processors instead of the AMD Phenon II X6. They are way better and frankly the Phenon is outdated, power hungry, and really has trouble competing. If you aren't sent on AMD, then for sure check out something like the Intel i5 2500k.

Here are some power consumption tests and more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-effici...
January 5, 2011 2:24:26 PM

The first thing you have to see is if that motherboard is a Hybrid motherboard, if not then you cant crossfire with your pcie, second is that the HD5750 wont crossfire with it, the highest you can go is with the HD4350, Anything higher will actually decrease the performance of your system since you will be waiting for your onboard to catch up, also it would be very much a shame for you to buy those high end parts and not buy a gpu worthy of that system, i recommend an HD6950 theyre going for about 300 and with a bios flash you can unlock the additional shaders basically upgrading to the 6970 for free
Related resources
January 5, 2011 2:27:41 PM

Pallimud said:
Hybrid crossfire is pretty specific, you have to match the right board with the right card. This is the latest info I found:

Quote:
Right now the latest generation of Hybrid Crossfire pairs an 890GX or 880G (Radeon HD4290 and HD 4250 respectively) motherboards from the AMD 800 series chipset with an HD 5450 Radeon video card from the HD 5000 Series

I would suggest getting a better card instead of messing with this idea.

As for your new system, you might want to check out the new Intel i5/i7 processors instead of the AMD Phenon II X6. They are way better and frankly the Phenon is outdated, power hungry, and really has trouble competing. If you aren't sent on AMD, then for sure check out something like the Intel i5 2500k.

Here are some power consumption tests and more: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-effici...

first of all, hes asking about gpu selection, and the Thuban 1090T overclocks to 4ghz easy and if you check benchmarks it easily contends with the i7 970X for only 229 on newegg, so the cheaper better solution is AMD
January 5, 2011 2:32:26 PM

I know he is asking about GPU, that is why I gave him an answer to that, but that doesn't mean we cannot give other suggestions as well.

As for what you mentioned, I am talking about the Gen 2 Intel i5/i7 not what you are talking about. You are a bit dated in your suggestion.
!