Sign in with
Your question

Reboot issues with D975XBX2

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2012 6:59:14 PM

I updated my memory and reinstalled my O/S (from Win7 32 to 64 Bit) and I can no longer RESTART my machine. I can Cold Boot it with no issues and from the O/S, I can shut it down and get back in with no issues. Yet, if I RESTART no workie! Any ideas would be helpful. In the meantime, here are my specs:

MBOARD: Intel Core Duo E6700 (D975XBX2)

NOTE: I have the latest BIOS from 9-3-2008 from Intel's site.

MEMORY: 8 Gigs (occupying all 4 Slots):

"AllComponents 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model AC2800X648G-KIT"

O/S: Win7 64 Ultimate

VIDEO: AMD RADEON HD 6970 (2 Gigs of GDDR5) x 1 card

DISKS: 4 seperate SATA Drives and a BDVDR on the additional SATA portion of the board.

NOTE: In a Win7 32 installation (prior to the memory change) it worked fine. This lead me to believe it was Bad Memory... But MemTest proved that wrong. And I can shut it off, boot up again (over and over) and it works each time... it's the RESTART function that never completes.

ANTI-VIRUS: AVG (Free Addition), updated.

I have reset the BIOS to its defaults and I also followed some steps of removing the power cord, removing memory then the video card. Then reinserting the memory and video card. That didn't change anything with the restart issue. But it does start-up faster now (big whoop). I have ran additional apps checking drive integrity, etc. And nothing seems to be wrong...

I'm thinking I'll just boot off one Drive only to see if that corrects anything. But, any additional assist would be appreciated.

More about : reboot issues d975xbx2

a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2012 7:42:09 PM

Makes me think you didn't get a clean reinstall of the OS. Did you delete the partition and let win install set it up?
m
l
February 10, 2012 9:12:00 PM

Roger that sir, I blew away the partition and did a clean install. Thanks for reminding me :pfff:  At this juncture, I'm thinking the same. But, this is the second install with a new partition this go-around. I'm wondering if it's a BIOS Configuration issue?
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:19:17 PM

Okay, to make a long story short, I noticed (from time-to-time) I have a third HDisk that disapears on me and then a cold boot later, it appears just fine. So, I simply removed it and things just "automagically" work like a charm. I can "Restart" all day long with no issues. So, I put the drive "to greener pastures" (in a USB Enclosure) and it's never been happier.

Thanks for the input and quick turn-around on my question.
m
l
!