Firestar

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
So I recently upgraded my case from a 5 year old HP case to a Sentey 4291.
The case came with 4 120mm fans, and room for 3 more 1200mm fans. I bought 3 more fans to I could fill up the case. However I discovered that the fan that came with the case absolutely suck. They hardly move any air. So I just bought a fan controller and 3 Delta fans each with an ability of 150CFM. Now I am uncertain how I should setup the fans.
This is how the case is laid out:
2 fan holes on the top.
1 fan hole on the back
1 fan hole on the bottom
1 fan hole in the front
2 fan holes in the side panel
-------
I currently have the side, bottom, and front fans as intake fans, and the others as exhaust.

So how should I configure this with the new Delta fans?
Any ideas are appreciated, thanks.

leon2006

Distinguished
Here's how fans are configured...

2 fans on top... Exhaust
1 fan at the back ... Exhaust
2 fan in front .... Intake
2 fan in the side panel .... Intake
1 fan at the bottom... Intake
-- Use mainly as air intake for bottom mounted PSU with/ Intake Fan facing down

Firestar

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

So would you recommend 3 of the Delta's as intakes and 1 exhaust? If so where would the best position for them be?

It went great :) I had a little issues as far as getting everything out of the HP case but putting it in the new one was a breeze.

Firestar

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I just want to clarify - I need to know the best places out of the options above to put my Delta fans. The other fans I understand but I am not sure the most effective way to setup the Delta fans.

I'd put 2 of the Deltas in front. I'd put the third one on the top or the back depending on which way your cooler is oriented. If the cooler fan is oriented horizontally, put the third fan in back. If vertical, put the 3rd fan on top.

Firestar

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Hm. I was thinking the two side fans to be Deltas, and the rear a Delta. This would be to cool my video card the best. Would that be less effective than the front ones being Deltas?

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

Sounds like a pretty good set up to me. I will say however I have a case with similar fan placement and have found more luck with an "out of the norm" set up. I think it has to do with the large graphics card that goes almost all the way across my case.

I have found that I basically have 2 different "zones" in my case. One above the GPU and one below the GPU. Below I have things pretty typical. The front, side and bottom are intake and the PSU is the only exhaust. That is plenty of cool air for the GPU fans to use to keep it cold and the front intake is blowing directly over the HDDs to keep them cool.
On top things are a bit different and it is designed completely around the CPU. I actually have the rear fan blowing in and pretty much directly onto the CPU heatsink. The heatsink fan then blows the air upwards and that is exhausted by 2 top mounted fans. After I changed from all exhaust fans on the rear and top I saw my CPU temp drop about 7C.

I'm not saying that my setup will work for you but I would encourage you to play around a bit and try something different. You are the one that knows the insides of your PC the best so if you have some obstructions in your case make sure to take them into account (ie, GPU, cables, extra PCI cards).

To answer your question about the new fans you bought I would get one of those blowing fresh air over your CPU heatsink in any way you can as that will lower your temps the most as long as you provide that air some place to exit after it goes over your heatsink.