P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 HDMI port

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Can anyone who owns this board confirm that they can send sound through the on-board HDMI port? Especially surround sound.

I own this board, and was not able to get as much as a single beep out of the HDMI port. I'm considering whether to RMA the board for another board of the same kind, or if I should get an entirely new board altogether.

It should work.

Right click on your bottom right sound icon, select "playback devices" the HDMI sound should be listed as digital audio, or something like that. Then right click on it and select "Set as default device".

And how are you trying to set up surround sound? If your plugging it directly into the TV then you will only get Stereo sound, you would need a receiver with HDMI inputs to have surround sound.

Edit: Checking your motherboard manual - see page 3-22. You might have to set the following in your BIOS:

SPDIF Out Type:

SPDIF sets to SPDIF for SPDIF Audio output

HDMI Sets to HDMI for HDMI audio output - obviously you will want to select this one.

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Chainzsaw: I have tried what you suggest. This link describes some of the odyssey, and also the hardware I'm using:
No sound from asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 on-board HDMI

After trying all combinations of bios settings, drivers, and installing a new bios, I still haven't heard a beep from the on-board HDMI. So I'm wondering: is it worthwhile to ask for a replacemnt, or should I get a different motherboard?

Can anyone confirm that they have heard (surround) sound from teh on-board HDMI?

Thanks!

I would say your next best bet is to contact Asus. See what they say. You seemed to have already done a lot - the only thing i can think of is either a BIOS issue, or even a defective HDMI port.

One last thing you could try is turning off your computer, unplugging it, then taking out the CMOS battery for a good 1/2 hour. afterwards hold the power button for a few seconds. It will only revert all BIOS settings to default.

Not sure if you tried it, but worth a shot.

jsmirn

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
*** bump *** again

Since my last post, I went to the store, got myself another identical (P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3) Mobo, to try its HDMI port. Same behavior: no beep from the HDMI port, no matter what bios settings/driver versions I use. I'm starting to believe that the HDMI port of all mobo's of this type are broken.

Anyone out there who can get sound through the onboard HDMI port of the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3?

Thanks!

bigdaz84

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I had audio from the hdmi then it stopped. Not sure why but I was using the hdmi to go into my tv and had right click the realtek audio icon as suggested above. Click audio devices and it came up as Samsung intel display audio. Not sure what you guys are outputting to.