Is this PSU good for my current and future needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Could you guys tell me if this PSU would be good with my current set and for a future one as well.

My soon to be setup is:
Phenom II X4 840T
6GB
1 TB HDD
6670 1GB DDR5
Corsair CX 500 v2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

I know it'll power that without any problems, but I plan to get a GTX 560 Ti in a year or two, would the PSU still be able to power that?

If not recommend something.

*Note that I chose the model because it's cheap and the brand has a good history.

ALSO: WOULD THE PSU BE ABLE TO BE TOP MOUNTED?

Solution
I have been told many times that it does, simply because as above stated that AMD are used to running 2x or 4x I really can't explain it, but it has helped my performance greatly, plus if you do decide to take one out make sure that you have 1 stick per 2 slot. Meaning you have 4 ram slots but if you look closely you should see that they are paired in 2 with a small gap in between. So basically it goes 1234 so stick a ram into slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 not in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. 2 and 3 should work also.
The PSU you have selected will be sufficient, however the one mosox found is a better deal. You will only need 650W if you want to run a pair of GTX560Ti later. Note Emerald's comment about the memory. 6GB would be unusual for an AMD system, which uses dual-channel RAM; usually people use 2x2GB kits or 2x4GB kits.

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

SO are you saying I should take a stick out?

bamanec

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I have been told many times that it does, simply because as above stated that AMD are used to running 2x or 4x I really can't explain it, but it has helped my performance greatly, plus if you do decide to take one out make sure that you have 1 stick per 2 slot. Meaning you have 4 ram slots but if you look closely you should see that they are paired in 2 with a small gap in between. So basically it goes 1234 so stick a ram into slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 not in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. 2 and 3 should work also.

Solution

The Halo Don

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011

Oh okay, thanks on that note! Also do you know if the PSU I chose would be able to be top mounted on an HP case?

Status
Not open for further replies.