Sign in with
Your question

Zotac GTX 260(216 SP) Ghosting and Rainbow Effect

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2011 6:34:23 PM

I'm not sure if it is just what this monitor is like but I'm having a few problems with it so far. I'm using this for playing games and I have problems such as certain corners having a short but noticeable blue mark when I look away from them, I think it is ghosting but not sure as I haven't experienced ghosting before.. I've been able to lessen this through tweaking the settings but it still happens a lot and is annoying. A good way to see this really easily is if I go in paint with a grey background and drag a white circle around it, I can see a easily visible blue ghost behind it.

Another problem I have is that when for example I am looking at a white scene in a game and I press shift+tab to bring up my STEAM overlay, which is mainly black, I am able to see the whole rainbow as it fades from black to white and is really annoying. I also found this problem with gun's muzzle flash, with a rainbow of colours around the edge of them. I haven't heard others complain about any of this. I have tried on both my HDMI slots and even tried VGA with no effect.

I've tried plugging my laptop in and from what I could see from a quick 5 minutes with it is that the effect is completely gone. I contacted support, they told me it was an issue with my GPU so I really have no idea what to do. I have tried reinstalling drivers, reinstalling my OS and can't really see anything I can tweak in the nVidia control panel that would remove this effect.

My GPU is the Zotac GTX 260(216 SP), thank you for anyone who has read this wall of text. I'm not sure whether this thread should go in GPU or this so I'm just going to put it in both I suppose.

Thanks
January 5, 2011 10:15:38 PM

I've filtered down the reason why exactly it is happening and now I have a new issue.

I have an option of my monitor called "Response Time", there are 3 settings, Normal, Faster and Fastest.

With normal, all of my ghosting and rainbow issues are removed, but in-game in a FPS the movement feels really weird, I am getting 60FPS+ but it feels more like 40 when I am moving and looking around. But with fastest it feels fine but I am getting the rainbow and ghosting, so I'm really confused as to what I should do? Help anyone?
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 12:24:43 AM

What kind of monitor do you have that allows you to change it's response time???? Never heard of that. Usually they have a fixed response time. Ultimately, the faster that time is the smoother moving images will be.
January 6, 2011 7:20:03 AM

jerreece said:
What kind of monitor do you have that allows you to change it's response time???? Never heard of that. Usually they have a fixed response time. Ultimately, the faster that time is the smoother moving images will be.

It's a Samsung BX2450. I know, I haven't experienced a monitor that does that before either but it is either smooth gameplay with ghosting and rainbow or choppy gameplay without.
!