Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New Build Sandy bridge $1,000

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 10, 2011 6:32:37 PM

So im an avid reader of the forums and like looking at peoples builds and suggestions before I post. But this is what ive come up with. I don’t care either or if I use Nvidia or ATI, ive used both forever. It just seems for the price point the ATI is a better card currently. Not sure if PhysX is used all that often to warrant using a Nvidia card though the 560ti looks good.

Thank you very much for the help and opinions. I usually get a new computer ever 3 years or so and I figure it’s about time to do a new one.
________________________________________________________________
Approximate Purchase Date: Would like to order in the next 2 weeks

Budget Range: about $900-$1200 if I have too. I would prefer to stay in the $1k range if I can.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mainly a gaming machine, surfing the net.

Parts Not Required: I have a keyboard, mouse, and a Dell 20 inch monitor running 1680x1050. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit in a box ready to install.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg or Amazon.com. I have an Amazon Prime account so can use that for $0.00 shipping if it’s available. I’m not a huge fan of Rebates on Newegg as I had to RMA an item once or twice, and it is so much easier through Newegg if I have the UPC instead of going through the manufacture.

Country of Origin: Seattle, WA USA

Parts Preferences: My last 2 builds I have been using Corsair PSU, Antec 900 case, Asus MB, and Asus video card. I haven’t had any problems with any of them so I tend to stick with manufactures that don’t fail me.

Overclocking: Probably not. I haven’t ever messed with it. If the game runs great, then I don’t worry about it.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Additional Comments: I like quiet computers! Don’t ask me why, but loud fan noises all the time bother me. I don’t mind if it’s a little loud while playing a game cause you can’t hear it, but idle surfing the net with fan noises I don’t like tolerating. I thought I would try a modular PSU as I like clean case. My antec 900 is a bit funny with a bunch of wires tucked in the empty HDD bay. I don’t think im at a point where I need to worry about an SSD drive. Perhaps on my next build in a few years.
______________________________________________________________
CASE: Antec 900 $99.99
Or
Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP $89.99

I have had the Antec 900 for the last 3 years and it seems to have been a great case. Not sure if I need to switch or not. I am just curious on your thoughts. Mainly I don’t know if the new video card will fit in it fine or not.

CPU: Intel I5-2500k $219.99

MOBO: I cant seem to find any in stock anywhere, but I hear the Asus is a pretty good. Roughly $120-200

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $99.99

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular $109.00
Or
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply $89.99

Do i really need more then 650Watts? I didnt see anywhere where i did, but wanted to make sure.

GPU: ASUS EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $289.99

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $64.99

CD\DVD: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R $18.99

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 $29.99 Do I even need this if I’m not overclocking?

Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound $9.99 Same as above, not sure if this is needed.

More about : build sandy bridge 000

March 10, 2011 7:01:53 PM

Very nice build. My opinion go with the Antec 900 and the Corsair HX. If you are going to overclock ( only reason to get the K model chip) you need a cooler too. Something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B are great low priced choices. You do need good thermal compound . I like IC Diamond myself or Shin Etsu.
Score
0
March 10, 2011 8:13:36 PM

anort3 said:
Very nice build. My opinion go with the Antec 900 and the Corsair HX. If you are going to overclock ( only reason to get the K model chip) you need a cooler too. Something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B are great low priced choices. You do need good thermal compound . I like IC Diamond myself or Shin Etsu.


Thanks for the information! I was leaning towards the Antec so good to know. Now if i could just find a motherboard someplace.

So I was looking at some reviews of the i5-2400 and i5-2500k and benchmarks, and they seem pretty right ontop of each other for speeds etc. Debating just getting the i5-2400 since i wont be doing any overclocking.
Score
0
Related resources
March 10, 2011 8:19:11 PM

I have an Antec 1200 so I know the 900 is a great case.

That might be a better choice then if you are not going to take advantage of the amazing Sandy Bridge overclockability.
Score
0

Best solution

March 11, 2011 3:10:23 AM

It's the uncertainty of 'Overclocking: Probably not' that always give us pause.
If we knew for certain you'd never overclock (and committing to a non-K CPU pretty much locks that option out) you could go in a slight different direction.

  • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 600W 80+ Bronze Modular PSU
  • MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) 1155 H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard H67 here not P67
  • Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400
  • XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm CPU Cooler 1155
    TOTAL: $379.96

    Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 review @ THG a very quiet cooler in CPU combo deal for $20.

    Your other components and find a nice quiet case to put it all in.
    Share
    March 11, 2011 3:18:16 AM

    Either the Storm Scout or CM690 II Advanced get great customer reviews for being quiet.
    If you find a case you like better there is always the option of fitting quieter fans if you find the stock ones don't meet your expectations.
    Score
    0
    March 11, 2011 3:31:42 AM

    WR2 said:
    It's the uncertainty of 'Overclocking: Probably not' that always give us pause.
    If we knew for certain you'd never overclock (and committing to a non-K CPU pretty much locks that option out) you could go in a slight different direction.

  • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 600W 80+ Bronze Modular PSU
  • MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) 1155 H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard H67 here not P67
  • Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400
  • XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm CPU Cooler 1155
    TOTAL: $379.96

    Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600 W Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
    Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 review @ THG a very quiet cooler in CPU combo deal for $20.

    Your other components and find a nice quiet case to put it all in.


  • Thank you very much for all that information. I will definitely take a look at it tonight! I decided ive never overclocked any computer since ive been messing with them for the last 20 years. I doubt ill start now. Overclocking: Not happening :D 
    Score
    0
    March 11, 2011 4:03:35 AM

    There is some cost savings too. The flip side of that is you 'lock' yourself into 3.1Ghz.

    The reason the K models are so popular with the enthusiasts is the option to raise the speed of the 2500K to 4.2Ghz with no voltage increase.

    Imagine changing your video card out in 2 years for a more powerful card.
    You could also change the speed of your CPU at that time from (2500K) 3.3Ghz to 4.2Ghz. Easily, and safely.
    Score
    0
    March 11, 2011 5:42:35 AM

    WR2 said:
    There is some cost savings too. The flip side of that is you 'lock' yourself into 3.1Ghz.

    The reason the K models are so popular with the enthusiasts is the option to raise the speed of the 2500K to 4.2Ghz with no voltage increase.

    Imagine changing your video card out in 2 years for a more powerful card.
    You could also change the speed of your CPU at that time from (2500K) 3.3Ghz to 4.2Ghz. Easily, and safely.

    +1
    Score
    0
    March 11, 2011 3:40:19 PM

    +2
    Score
    0
    March 11, 2011 4:02:04 PM

    With the difference in the i5 2400 and i5 2500K being just $30
    and ASUS P8H67-M LE H67 MB and ASUS P8P67-M being about ~$20
    I think if you can stretch your budget for the extra $50 you get extra options in the future I feel are worthwhile.
    Score
    0
    March 12, 2011 12:55:01 PM

    I see the ASUS P8P67-M sold out already. Does that mean you managed to get one?
    Score
    0
    March 12, 2011 4:30:10 PM

    Sure. You're in good shape.
    Score
    0
    March 12, 2011 4:31:13 PM

    Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

    Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

    -> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

    While you're waiting you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.
    Score
    0
    March 14, 2011 12:30:23 PM

    Thanks for the links WR2. I think we are done here. Hopefully i wont have any problems with hardware when i put it together later this week!

    Thank you all for the help!
    Score
    0
    March 14, 2011 12:30:43 PM

    Best answer selected by ZifnabDR.
    Score
    0
    February 23, 2012 8:55:39 PM

    This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    Score
    0
    !