Sign in with
Your question

Which would be better to buy ssd, standard hard drive, or motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2012 9:44:21 PM

ok so I have some extra cash and was thinking about getting either a new mobo or a hard drive. my current rig is as follows

BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB
Western Digital RE2 WD4000YR 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB

The mobo i was lookiing at is GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X. As for the hard drive im not quite sure yet. any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
a c 406 V Motherboard
a c 127 À AMD
February 10, 2012 10:55:49 PM

If you need more HDD space, definetly go for a larger HDD. If you want faster access, go for the SSD. But remember, you'll have to reinstall Windows anew on the SSD using a few different tactics. If there's something that your old motherboard won't do that you need, go for a new board. But again remember, a new board means a new purchase of Windows. (unless you have a retail copy of Win. In which case, you can use it on the new board with a little bit of automated telephone work with Microsoft.)

A bigger HDD or a new Motherboard won't make the system any faster. At least not any faster that you will be able to tell. An AM3+ socket will, however, allow upgrading to the FX processors if that makes any difference to you.
m
l
Related resources
!