Which would be better to buy ssd, standard hard drive, or motherboard

Mjcyclones77

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
ok so I have some extra cash and was thinking about getting either a new mobo or a hard drive. my current rig is as follows

BIOSTAR A770E3 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition
Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB
Western Digital RE2 WD4000YR 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s
SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB

The mobo i was lookiing at is GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X. As for the hard drive im not quite sure yet. any opinions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you need more HDD space, definetly go for a larger HDD. If you want faster access, go for the SSD. But remember, you'll have to reinstall Windows anew on the SSD using a few different tactics. If there's something that your old motherboard won't do that you need, go for a new board. But again remember, a new board means a new purchase of Windows. (unless you have a retail copy of Win. In which case, you can use it on the new board with a little bit of automated telephone work with Microsoft.)

A bigger HDD or a new Motherboard won't make the system any faster. At least not any faster that you will be able to tell. An AM3+ socket will, however, allow upgrading to the FX processors if that makes any difference to you.