Radeon HD4850 Winflash Problem

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Flash
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2011 9:33:30 PM

I have a HIS Radeon HD4850 IceQ4 Turbo, I used CCC to find the max clocks but wanted to use RBE and WinFlash to edit and re-flash the bios, The max clocks ended up being 690core/1185Mem and I Flash the bios with WinFlash and Reboot, GPU-Z Reads 690/1185 but after a few minutes the memory reverts back to 1000mhz, I have tried to re-flash serveral times and the memory always reverts back to the stock clock speed. the Core clock stays at 690

Here is the GPU-Z Validation 5 mins after the computer reboots
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/wkbrr/

and after about 5 mins
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/2q3f4/

I google'd and came up with nothing...

More about : radeon hd4850 winflash problem

January 6, 2011 3:56:02 PM

Plenty of GPU's downclock when they are not being heavily used (not rendering 3D). Perhaps it's clocked fine when you first boot and it's downclocking. You should start playing a 3D game and while playing hit ALT+TAB and see what the clock speeds are. They may have gone back up to what you set the clock speeds too. Laptops do the same with thier CPU's. I'm not certain that this is the cause but I'd say it's worth a try.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 4:26:31 PM

dark_lord, the 4000-series GPUs don't downclock memory frequencies at idle, only the GPU frequency.

elpcavy, It's just a guess, but perhaps CCC's 1000Mhz memory clock speed limitation is kicking in and causing the reversion. That or you missed a setting within the edited BIOS.

You could try uninstalling CCC, leaving only the actual video drivers installed, or uninstall everything ATI/Catalyst related, then downloading and installing only the raw video drivers instead of the entire Catalyst package.

You might also consider using MSI's Afterburner program to apply clock speeds beyond the clock limitations of CCC when desired, leaving the card capable of running at it's stock speeds when the OC isn't needed. Doing so should increase the longevity of the card.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 1:52:22 AM

dark_lord69 said:
Plenty of GPU's downclock when they are not being heavily used (not rendering 3D). Perhaps it's clocked fine when you first boot and it's downclocking. You should start playing a 3D game and while playing hit ALT+TAB and see what the clock speeds are. They may have gone back up to what you set the clock speeds too. Laptops do the same with thier CPU's. I'm not certain that this is the cause but I'd say it's worth a try.

I used cs:source to test that, with the game running gpu-z showed a 690/1000 without the game running gpu-z showed a 650/1000 so i see that the core changes but the memory stays 1000 all the time

RazberyBandit said:
dark_lord, the 4000-series GPUs don't downclock memory frequencies at idle, only the GPU frequency.

elpcavy, It's just a guess, but perhaps CCC's 1000Mhz memory clock speed limitation is kicking in and causing the reversion. That or you missed a setting within the edited BIOS.

You could try uninstalling CCC, leaving only the actual video drivers installed, or uninstall everything ATI/Catalyst related, then downloading and installing only the raw video drivers instead of the entire Catalyst package.

You might also consider using MSI's Afterburner program to apply clock speeds beyond the clock limitations of CCC when desired, leaving the card capable of running at it's stock speeds when the OC isn't needed. Doing so should increase the longevity of the card.

I did not think of removing CCC so I'll give that a shot and post the results. I have a HIS card, I assume the MSI afterburner program will work fine with my card?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 2:37:31 PM

I have an HIS 4850 IceQ4 Turbo 512 card myself in a second system, and yes, MSI's Afterburner will work with it. It will work with any card. There was a change made in recent updates to Afterburner, but I can't recall what that change affected. I think it was the disabling of voltage control by default. I don't play with voltages, and I've long since found my games to offer little benefit from OCing, so I haven't fussed with it in a long time. I'm sorry I can't provide more insight.

Oh! And I should have said that applying the OC only when desired should increase the longevity of the card versus applying the OC full-time.
January 13, 2011 2:19:13 PM

Best answer selected by elpcavy21.
m
l
January 13, 2011 2:19:51 PM

RazberyBandit said:
I have an HIS 4850 IceQ4 Turbo 512 card myself in a second system, and yes, MSI's Afterburner will work with it. It will work with any card. There was a change made in recent updates to Afterburner, but I can't recall what that change affected. I think it was the disabling of voltage control by default. I don't play with voltages, and I've long since found my games to offer little benefit from OCing, so I haven't fussed with it in a long time. I'm sorry I can't provide more insight.

Oh! And I should have said that applying the OC only when desired should increase the longevity of the card versus applying the OC full-time.

MSI Afterburner works flawlessly, even gives me the option to apply overclock at startup!

Thanks for your help
m
l
!