Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade help for a beginner PC builder.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
June 10, 2011 1:17:58 PM

Hello,
I am currently running a dual core phenom 2 with a radeon 5750 as my gpu. Would I see a big difference with a I5 2500k and a 6850 over what I have. Pretty much the only thing I play now is WoW like most people and some older FPS. I will be buying a crossfire board for future cause Diablo 3 makes me smile.

More about : upgrade beginner builder

a b à CPUs
June 10, 2011 3:15:21 PM

You can get a video card now and wait for the rest.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
June 10, 2011 9:27:54 PM

+1 The GPU will give a big improvement the CPU only a small one. I think WOW prefers Nvidia its thats your main game.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2011 9:50:14 PM

Hey Baellos,

What resolution are you playing at? Any other more detailed system specs would help as well.

I ask because if you are not running close to 1920x1080p that 5750 will perform just fine. WOW and older FPS are not demanding on your system at all. You have a pretty decent setup right now--it shouldn't be challenged by anything more than 2 years old.

Your suggested upgrades are good ideas for the future and Diablo 3 -- I just don't think you will see a big performance jump right now unless you want to play something very new and demanding. If you are itching to upgrade something I would suggest you start investing in the monitor, power supply, and case for your new build now -- then get the 2500k and 6850 when Diablo 3 appears.
m
l
June 10, 2011 10:22:23 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Hey Baellos,

What resolution are you playing at? Any other more detailed system specs would help as well.

I ask because if you are not running close to 1920x1080p that 5750 will perform just fine. WOW and older FPS are not demanding on your system at all. You have a pretty decent setup right now--it shouldn't be challenged by anything more than 2 years old.

Your suggested upgrades are good ideas for the future and Diablo 3 -- I just don't think you will see a big performance jump right now unless you want to play something very new and demanding. If you are itching to upgrade something I would suggest you start investing in the monitor, power supply, and case for your new build now -- then get the 2500k and 6850 when Diablo 3 appears.

I am using a 21 inch Gateway LED 1920 x 1080 res. 750 watt Ultra PSU. Currently its a 785g chipset AM2+ Asus board M4A785-M with 4 gigs of Adata pc 6400 ddr2 ram. Ive always been an AMD fan but Id like to try a new Sandy Bridge CPU. But im torn to maybe wait for these new Zambezi chips from AMD. Not sure. Better yet I have 500 bucks to spend on MB, GPU and CPU maybe its easier for you to make suggestions with a budget. Also for room I have a Thermaltake V9 Black Edition midtower so it fits GPUs rather well.
m
l
a c 91 à CPUs
June 10, 2011 11:45:31 PM

your motherboard supports the phenom x4's, i would upgrade to a 965 rather than get a whole new SB motherboard/ram/cpu and spend the rest of the money on a good gfx card and psu and maybe some more ram.
m
l
June 11, 2011 12:54:01 AM

To each their own opinion but I wouldn't go Crowe's route. I would upgrade the ram first and I assume the PSU is fine. That will hold you over until at least the zambezi chips, maybe even Ivy bridge....at that point i'd upgrade. I don't think you'd notice a big improvement with more cores because last I heard WoW doesn't fully utilize all 4 cores.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2011 3:05:43 AM

Hes got a DDR2 motherboard, so starting with/adding more ram doesn't work.

I guess my challenge in all this is understanding why you even want to upgrade to play WOW. Can your system not run it on full settings?

Either way, your initial suggestion of the i5 and 6850 is good if you want to spend the money. If you plan to upgrade in steps--start with the GPU and then do the CPU/mobo/ram.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 11, 2011 9:26:33 AM

Did you try to unlock that CPU into a quad?
m
l
a c 91 à CPUs
June 11, 2011 11:38:32 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Hes got a DDR2 motherboard, so starting with/adding more ram doesn't work.

I guess my challenge in all this is understanding why you even want to upgrade to play WOW. Can your system not run it on full settings?

Either way, your initial suggestion of the i5 and 6850 is good if you want to spend the money. If you plan to upgrade in steps--start with the GPU and then do the CPU/mobo/ram.

I dont understand, the motherboard has 4 ram slots. why cant you upgrade it? but yeah, 4 gigs should be enough anyway and it shouldnt be the first thing to upgrade.
m
l
!