Manual focusing problem

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 8, 2005 10:17:25 PM

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ15. It generally does a great job of
auto-focusing, but sometimes I need to use manual focus. I find that at
least half of my manually-focused pictures are not sharp, even though
the focus looks right on in the viewfinder using the focus-assist
feature. I can't figure it out. Has any one else noticed this problem
with their Panasonic digital?

Duke
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:37:31 PM

In article <21098-42095695-499@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
penultimate@webtv.net (The Duke) wrote:

> I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ15. It generally does a great job of
> auto-focusing, but sometimes I need to use manual focus. I find that at
> least half of my manually-focused pictures are not sharp, even though
> the focus looks right on in the viewfinder using the focus-assist
> feature. I can't figure it out. Has any one else noticed this problem
> with their Panasonic digital?

Why would you want to manually focus if the autofocus works so well?
My Fuji S7000 has a focus/zoom ring which is virtually useless.
February 10, 2005 2:37:32 PM

In article <anyone4tennis-B59769.11373110022005@newssv.kcn.ne.jp>,
anyone4tennis@hotmail.com says...
> In article <21098-42095695-499@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
> penultimate@webtv.net (The Duke) wrote:
>
> > I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ15. It generally does a great job of
> > auto-focusing, but sometimes I need to use manual focus. I find that at
> > least half of my manually-focused pictures are not sharp, even though
> > the focus looks right on in the viewfinder using the focus-assist
> > feature. I can't figure it out. Has any one else noticed this problem
> > with their Panasonic digital?
> >
> Why would you want to manually focus if the autofocus works so well?
> My Fuji S7000 has a focus/zoom ring which is virtually useless.

I think this is a common problem with ALL EVF cameras... you need to TRUST
the auto-focus, because the manual focus (usually) cant be done on a low
resolution EVF.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Stewy wrote:

> Why would you want to manually focus if the autofocus works so well?
> My Fuji S7000 has a focus/zoom ring which is virtually useless.

Because maybe one wants to focus at a plane that the autofocus doesn't
want to. If an object has an extended dimension parallel to the line of
sight, it may be hard to make the autofocus focus on just the plane you
want to properly share the available depth of field. That is the
reason, for macro photography I use a film camera and scan the print. I
can't afford a good digital SLR. My digicam, non SLR is fine for most
things, but not macro photography where I really want to control the
plane of best focus.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 7:35:18 PM

> I think this is a common problem with ALL EVF cameras... you need to TRUST
> the auto-focus, because the manual focus (usually) cant be done on a low
> resolution EVF.

I've only had my Panasonic FZ20 a short time, so I've only had one
significant attempt
at manual focusing. Still, the results were superb, all things considered.
I was watching
the Dolphin show in Chicago's Shedd Aquarium in the late evening. The
lighting is
quite poor, the sky was overcast, and the sun had set. I manually focused
on the
place where I expected the Dolphins to jump and used the high speed burst
mode.
While the pictures were still much too dark and noisy, the focus was pretty
much
right on. }:)  Definitely a fun experiment.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]