Sign in with
Your question

Am I still bottlenecking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2011 10:30:13 PM

Im barley getting 30 fps in crysis in the benchmark and Game it self here are my specs :) 

Intel Qaud Core Q8300 2.50 GHZ I Overclocked it to 3.6 ghz but am still getting crap fps in crysis

2 X Evga Superclocked 1gb GTX 460 in SLI

4gb of Ram

Asus P5N-D 750i Sli Motherboard

Any suggestions Please I am Playing at 1920 X 1080 23 inch LCD

Help? :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

More about : bottlenecking

January 5, 2011 10:58:47 PM

It is your CPU more than likely. Your graphics card should be fine, though I have heard of issues with SLI in some games hurting performance. Have you tried disabling one?
m
l
January 5, 2011 11:13:02 PM

I realize its my cpu I need to know what to do how far overclock and I tried disabling sli performance is worse sli is almost perfect now :bounce: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 11:39:42 PM

If you are maxing out the settings in Crysis including AA then your frame rates are maybe a little low but not much less than should be expected. Try turning off AA, if frame rates go up notably then it is not a CPU bottleneck as AA doesn't have anything to do with the CPU.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 11:48:39 PM

i highly doubt its the CPU that is the problem, that cpu at 3.6 should blitz crysis. Sounds more like an issue with you gfx cards. Maybe SLI is not being enabled properly. Disable or remove one of your vid cards and see if you get similar fps, then you will know where the problem lies. If you reduce resolution and AA does the FPS improve? if so then your gfx cards have a problem.
m
l
January 6, 2011 12:56:59 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
i highly doubt its the CPU that is the problem, that cpu at 3.6 should blitz crysis. Sounds more like an issue with you gfx cards. Maybe SLI is not being enabled properly. Disable or remove one of your vid cards and see if you get similar fps, then you will know where the problem lies. If you reduce resolution and AA does the FPS improve? if so then your gfx cards have a problem.

Well on that note can you help me with 4 things

1. you know my specs already so you know I have an asus mobo my OC's rarely work because after save exit bios it goes black all the fans stay on but it goes black so then I have to turn it off and retry why is it doing this not enough Vcore voltage?

2. How do I find out my processors default Vcore voltage I have it at 1.28 at 3.06 ghz

3. Should I mess with ram when I overclock my CPU

4.What setting would you recommend for sli?

Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 1:58:39 AM

I have the same board you do. I have my e8400 running at 3.91 with cpu volts at
1.32 and my north bridge 1.30. you should have the option to unlink your memory from the OC. I didn't do that in the beginning and had the same problems you are saying basically you are having failed OC I am assuming you are using the bios to OC.
If not bump your FSB a little at a time the try to boot. If it boots raise it up more and if it boot then repeat until it won't boot. Then go into your bios and bump the volts to CPU if it boots keep going until you are happy and remember the north bridge will at some point will need a volt bump too. I don't use auto setting at all or the 5 percent to 20 percent OC feature build into the bios it never worked for me. Good Luck.. I bet you can get it to 4ghz
m
l
January 6, 2011 2:19:32 AM

christop said:
I have the same board you do. I have my e8400 running at 3.91 with cpu volts at
1.32 and my north bridge 1.30. you should have the option to unlink your memory from the OC. I didn't do that in the beginning and had the same problems you are saying basically you are having failed OC I am assuming you are using the bios to OC.
If not bump your FSB a little at a time the try to boot. If it boots raise it up more and if it boot then repeat until it won't boot. Then go into your bios and bump the volts to CPU if it boots keep going until you are happy and remember the north bridge will at some point will need a volt bump too. I don't use auto setting at all or the 5 percent to 20 percent OC feature build into the bios it never worked for me. Good Luck.. I bet you can get it to 4ghz

I have it unlinked whats then north bridge and how do I OC it :bounce: 
m
l
January 6, 2011 3:02:15 AM

Did you install the Evga SLI enhancement? I personally don't have SLI 460's, just a single one, but on the driver disk you can install SLI enhancement.
m
l
January 6, 2011 3:09:12 AM

imwithstupid118 said:
Did you install the Evga SLI enhancement? I personally don't have SLI 460's, just a single one, but on the driver disk you can install SLI enhancement.

I put in the disk and I had to download it from the internet I'll reinstall it maybe that will help thanks :hello: 
m
l
January 6, 2011 4:26:24 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

I figured out the problem now I need all of toms hard ware experts to help the problem is my video cards aren't working hard enough I turned crysis to very high played for about 20 mins then view how many mhz / memorey they were both barely using half so its elqvlant to 1 card right now so How do I tell them to stop being lazy bums and get to work? :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 5:00:12 AM

What program are you using to monitor their useage? those programs dont always reliably represent real useage. there is a program called driversweeper. this will uninstall all nvidia drivers from your computer. after running that and rebooting, install the latest nvidia drivers and enable SLI leaving all other settings default, then try again with crysis. so did you find increasing the cpu speed did not affect fps much?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 11:42:38 AM

BreckR said:
I figured out the problem now I need all of toms hard ware experts to help the problem is my video cards aren't working hard enough I turned crysis to very high played for about 20 mins then view how many mhz / memorey they were both barely using half so its elqvlant to 1 card right now so How do I tell them to stop being lazy bums and get to work? :lol:  :lol: 

Modern video cards downclock in 2d mode to save power, so when you're in Windows desktop it looks like they're only running at a fraction of the proper speed - this might be what you mean? (They will clock up to the proper speeds when you start a game)
Sounds like you have a few problems, - unstable overclock is one. I had a P5N-D and they're not great unfortunately - Quad core overclocking is very difficult past 400Mhz FSB on both the 750i and 780i. I would suggest you read the core 2 quad overlcocking guides on Tom's and try and get you board stable with a fair overclock for starters. Make sure you are stable using prime95, blend and small FFTs for at least an hour before you start gaming. 3.2Ghz (425x7.5 or QFSB1700 on your board) would be a GOOD overclock for that chip on that board. Edit: To start with you would probabaly be best shooting for 3.0Ghz, that way you are within the reasonable limitations of the chipset, your RAM is running 1:1, and it should be a case of just nudging up the vcore and northbridge until you get it stable.

Also remember that Crysis is still a killer and although you have 460s in SLi you can only expect to get playable frames in VHQ without any MSAA at 1920x1080.
m
l
January 6, 2011 7:18:12 PM

MMclachlan said:
Modern video cards downclock in 2d mode to save power, so when you're in Windows desktop it looks like they're only running at a fraction of the proper speed - this might be what you mean? (They will clock up to the proper speeds when you start a game)
Sounds like you have a few problems, - unstable overclock is one. I had a P5N-D and they're not great unfortunately - Quad core overclocking is very difficult past 400Mhz FSB on both the 750i and 780i. I would suggest you read the core 2 quad overlcocking guides on Tom's and try and get you board stable with a fair overclock for starters. Make sure you are stable using prime95, blend and small FFTs for at least an hour before you start gaming. 3.2Ghz (425x7.5 or QFSB1700 on your board) would be a GOOD overclock for that chip on that board. Edit: To start with you would probabaly be best shooting for 3.0Ghz, that way you are within the reasonable limitations of the chipset, your RAM is running 1:1, and it should be a case of just nudging up the vcore and northbridge until you get it stable.

Also remember that Crysis is still a killer and although you have 460s in SLi you can only expect to get playable frames in VHQ without any MSAA at 1920x1080.

I got it to a stable 3.0 ghz it barely effected fps and also I am talking about gaming I'm using windows 7 gadget I'm pretty sure its accurate because its the top rated 1 also It gives me temp readings and it matches Hardware Monitor EXACTLY but playing crysis for 20 mins and looking at them immedily while the game is still running they were barley using 45 % each :??:  So now I'm gonna unistall my video drivers and go redownload them :ange: 
m
l
January 6, 2011 8:02:25 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
What program are you using to monitor their useage? those programs dont always reliably represent real useage. there is a program called driversweeper. this will uninstall all nvidia drivers from your computer. after running that and rebooting, install the latest nvidia drivers and enable SLI leaving all other settings default, then try again with crysis. so did you find increasing the cpu speed did not affect fps much?

Hey thanks that driver sweeper is cool this time I decided to install 266.35 beta drivers it supposed to be very good :)  I'll go look
m
l
January 6, 2011 9:13:24 PM

Well The Beta 266.35 drivers improved performance by a decent amount I'm getting about 5 to 6 more fps but I still think my vid cards aren't working hard enough so how can I make so they use full power they are both factory OC do I maybe not have enough Watts I'm using an 850 corsair PSU ?
m
l
January 7, 2011 1:21:01 AM

iam2thecrowe said:

I monitered my gpus and cpu usage while play crysis they NEVER I repeat NEVER went over 45% they aren't using all they're power I need to fix this but how anybody please ??? :hello:  :hello:  :hello: 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 7:06:39 AM

Adjust your expectations accordingly. Despite being over 3 years old there is still only one game that is more graphically intensive than Crysis when maxed out and that is Metro 2033.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 7:53:37 AM

Yup, still the best looking too imo. You probably just need to turn off AA for the game to run smoothly on an HD5870 though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 8:49:16 AM

BreckR said:
I monitered my gpus and cpu usage while play crysis they NEVER I repeat NEVER went over 45% they aren't using all they're power I need to fix this but how anybody please ??? :hello:  :hello:  :hello: 

45% usage doesn't sound right, I have a GTX295 (Sli on a card) and when playing Crysis or Metro both GPUs are nearly always around 90%+. Download and install EVGA precision - This will give you a graph of your both your gpu usages so you can see exactly what's going on on your cards when you're playing a game, not just a quick snapshot.
m
l
January 7, 2011 7:52:59 PM

MMclachlan said:
45% usage doesn't sound right, I have a GTX295 (Sli on a card) and when playing Crysis or Metro both GPUs are nearly always around 90%+. Download and install EVGA precision - This will give you a graph of your both your gpu usages so you can see exactly what's going on on your cards when you're playing a game, not just a quick snapshot.

Just checked with Evga prescion and they aren't going over 45 % they barley go over 40 % can anybody help me even playing it windowed at a low resloution like 1280X1024 It barley was an improvement cause my video cards are barley doing anything :pfff: 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 10:19:46 PM

I believe SLI only works in full screen mode FYI.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 4:28:08 AM

ok, does the gpu useage reach higher when playing other games? i suspect its something funny with crysis itself. read some other threads, there are various reasons why sli can have performance issues, http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1436&bih=...

Also, make sure the motherboard is running both pcie slots at 16x, make sure crysis has latest patch. Running the 64 bit version would be best with win7 64 bit if you are not already.
m
l
January 8, 2011 10:52:32 AM

From what I have seen browsing around the directories and settings Crysis itself doesn't seem to have a 64 bit mode where Crysis Warhead seems to. I could be wrong thought and it might explain too why I am stuck at around 40 FPS now that I turned off AA completely.
m
l
January 9, 2011 12:33:17 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
ok, does the gpu useage reach higher when playing other games? i suspect its something funny with crysis itself. read some other threads, there are various reasons why sli can have performance issues, http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1436&bih=...

Also, make sure the motherboard is running both pcie slots at 16x, make sure crysis has latest patch. Running the 64 bit version would be best with win7 64 bit if you are not already.

1 last thing how do I know if my pcie slots are running at 16X I thought I saw somewhere in bios it said 8X :o 
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 4:48:09 AM

i think GPUZ can tell you that info.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 12:01:18 PM

Even if it is x8 that won't limit things much at all. Even x4 isn't particularly limiting on a PCI-E 2.0 motherboard for cards of this caliber.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 7:37:56 PM

if he is looking for a couple extra fps, it may help. Also ive heard different stories as to weather you need sli bridge or not?? also that nforce750i motherboard he has may have one of those little cards on the motherboard that needs to be flipped round for sli, i know my 650i board does?
m
l
January 10, 2011 7:19:07 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
if he is looking for a couple extra fps, it may help. Also ive heard different stories as to weather you need sli bridge or not?? also that nforce750i motherboard he has may have one of those little cards on the motherboard that needs to be flipped round for sli, i know my 650i board does?

yeah it has a bridge what are you talking about little cards
m
l
!