Your question

How can I determine how much power GeForce 8400gs will consume? Going to strea

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Desktops
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2011 12:40:26 AM

Lenovo M52 desktop, Pentium D (dual core) Prescott, 4G RAM (ok 3), 1TB Seagate, onboard graphics Intel 82945G. I added another 40W of consumption by upgrading the CPU to dual core. Now I'm going to add ??? power demand with installation of Sparkle PCI GeForce 8400GS(passive). Bug ass heat sink but no fan on the graphics card.
Also looking for a part number for a p/s that will fit this desktop. Lenovo's movie on how to r/r an M52 p/s shows a stupid tower and not the desktop I have. Don't know what's going on with them. Help if u can please.
SwiftandSilent

More about : determine power geforce 8400gs consume strea

January 6, 2011 1:50:04 AM

An 8400GS will pull about 20 - 25 watts. How powerful is your present power supply?

As far as r/r a PSU, case style doesn't really matter. Keep track of what you disconnect when you remove the old PSU (write it down). Then remove the 4 mounting screws and pull out the old PSU. Install the new PSU and follow the list you made when you disconnected all the cables.
m
l
January 9, 2011 8:20:44 PM

Current p/s is 225 W. I just installed the graphics card and it seems to be working well. I found a spec somewhere, (since last post) I think Sparkle, or NVIDIA perhaps that showed a max of 40W consumed. I was afaid if I started processing some HD (specifically AVCHD from Sony HD video recorder) it might draw too much current and brown out my system. As it turns out, Sony's PMB Picture Motion Browser now does not play the HD video's any longer. Tech support said to remove and reinstall the application which didn't help.
Originally installed the graphics card for HDCP support while streaming 1080p from my DirecTV2PC DVR. It works great but now PMB is broken so I've gone up and down with drivers and NVIDIA settings, removed some apps that might have have a codec conflict (VadoHD, DirecTV2PC) all to no avail, PMB is now broken. I'm ready to remove the card and go back to onboard Intel, and verify that that fixes it again. Just tried to reinstall the onboard 82945G Intel graphics drivers and that failed with "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for these drivers)
Thoroughly frustrated now, but thank you for the info. 20-25W sounds about right for normal operation.

jsc said:
An 8400GS will pull about 20 - 25 watts. How powerful is your present power supply?

As far as r/r a PSU, case style doesn't really matter. Keep track of what you disconnect when you remove the old PSU (write it down). Then remove the 4 mounting screws and pull out the old PSU. Install the new PSU and follow the list you made when you disconnected all the cables.

m
l
!