Single Nvidia GTX 285 crash (again)

noblekale90

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I had a previous problem of my video card crashing in some graphic intensive games before.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305562-33-single-nvidia-crash

I thought the problem was fixed before, because I installed another fan, and cleaned the dust out. But that is not the case. It is back, and worse than before. It's even been crashing in games that normally do not crash for me (Counter-Strike:Source, for example).

I got gpu-z, and ran it while running a game that normally crashes (Sniper: Ghost Warrior).

It crashed, and here is the log. I'm not experienced enough to discern what is the problem, or if it is my graphics card, and not the PSU, that is the root of the problem. Although, the straight 99s in GPU load seem to be a bit odd, as if it is overstressed. When the numbers jump down to the single digits is when I alt-tab back to desktop, checking the temperature.

If the problem is the gpu, then I will definitely try "gpu baking", as one person suggested. And if all else fails, then gtx 460, here I come. Haha.

Thank you all for your time!

Aaron

Edit: NZXT 800-watt PSU
Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 920
GTX 285

Also, I guess you can't upload files here. So I will give an overview.

GPU clock
300.9 -
678.9 Mhz

GPU mem clock
100-
1242 Mhz

GPU Shader Clock
601.7-
1476 Mhz

GPU temp
34-67 C

PCB temp
28-45 C

Fan Speed
2500-2600 RPM

Fan speed
40% steady. No change

GPU Load
0-99%
99% almost all the time in-game

Memory controller load
0-25%

Video Engine Load
0% straight

VDDC
1.0500-1.1500 V

I apologize if it's messy.

VGKitov

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
This baking method used to work on failed 8800GT's and it seem's to be fairly popular, but it seems risky, so you shuld try it only if all else fails. It looks like alot of people are having the same problem, my suggestion is to downclock it and see what happens, also try to manualy increase your GPU fan speed with RIVATUNE or MSI Afterburner.

Hope this helps ;)

PS it's not messy :D

Actually the baking method started with the 8800gtx and the G80 gts not the G92 gt/gts. I am saddened by how short peoples attention span and memory about hardware is these days. Can two years be that much time?

It works on card that used a lead tin alloy for bonding of the gpu, vram, and other components in a reflow however if they used silver tin alloy for bonding then chances are that success rate will be much lower as higher temps are required for reflow. I suggest that you actually bother to spend an hour or two looking this up and going through threads before trying it out.

VGKitov

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Sorry but I'm 16 years old, before two years I didn't know anything about GPU's (I'm not claiming that now I know everything) I read about it in another forum and I didn't really think it through ,before writing. Because it really doesn't have anything to do with his problem, I just wanted to say that this method has been used for some time now :)

At first I thought they were joking, but when you think about it, it's pretty logical.

I may not be old enough but I do take my time and actually bother to do research, impressive that people these days have never seen an Amiga pc or a Apple AIO. PS I got a 386 that is older than you :whistle:

VGKitov

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
It really is :D I do admit, that I have a pretty basic knowledge of Hardware, but in some cases I think I can help.
My whole point is that it really wasn't that important when it started, i have only read about it once and since it seemed pretty destructive, I didn't go further into it.

By the way I haven't seen them either. Maybe becouse in my country Apple's are (atleast were) pretty rare.

I usualy do some research before I post, because I know thi is important to the OP, I wrote 8800GT because it was the first card I have read about being baked and to him atleast it doesn't matter .

noblekale90

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thank both of you, but I think that I'm going to get a new video card(s). Even if I could fix it, I've got the new video card fever. Haha. The only cure is more video card.
I appreciate your responses and attempts to help. I did get Rivatuner. I think I will use it frequently.
Thanks guys!

Aaron