Decision: buy unlockable HD6950 immediately VS wait for rev. 2 review

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hi, I live in Japan.

I've been so slow that I learned about HD6950 unlocking just a few days ago and already AMD now plans to kill the unlocking feature. So do you think it's too late now to get those unlockable cards?

Originally I plan to buy this next around jan/16+ but with this new info I might have to rush before the stock ran out.

So, shall I order one immediately? is it possible to distinguish original from revised cards? or should I wait and see if the revised card are still unlockable?

Solution
I usually buy from the store (tend to have better deals on the spot). For online I have used rakuten and amazon.co.jp

I often like to browse on:
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5top/
and
http://www.goodwill.jp/

I use those because I like to window shop at their stores often. Softgiga has had some pretty good specials if you know where any are, and stay away from biccamera. Not very good prices. Good luck with your build.

BTW, you have polite Japanese. :lol:
Yes, I think the new unlockable cards would have a revision 2 on them (PCB) it's like the second version of the first card just with it's unlocking capabilities blocked.
If the place you're buying the card from has ample stock, you'll not have an issue but if it's new stock by then (16th Jan) you might just end up with a revision 2 board.....

Checking out newegg now for the 2 cards I just realized that the price difference between the 6950 and the 6970 is only 60$...... I think while you wait you could end up saving that money and go straight for the 6970.... for all you know you might get a better deal.....

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Now just mailed the shop asking the if current ones are the 2010 stock

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
As an aside, where do you live in Japan? I live in Japan as well.

If you're upgrading your video card and live in the Nagoya area, then go to Osu. You may be able to find a real good deal on 5870s as in sub 20,000 yen. Also, computer shops here seem to be pretty good, so if you ask for a pre-revision card, the staff will probably be able to accommodate your needs.

頑張って
haha

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I live south of Oota city Oota-ku, Tokyo(sounds more like otaku amirite?). It's on the very edge of tokyo its Kanagawa province on the other side of the river lol.

No, I am buying a completely new rig. Actually I want to wait for sandy bridge to came out, read user reviews, then buy everything at once, but this card seems too good a deal, so I feel like I must get one like, NOW.

I am getting prices from kakaku.com, do you have nice shop you wish to recommend(for this area)?

so if you ask for a pre-revision card, the staff will probably be able to accommodate your needs.
does that applies to on-line store? because there are price difference of ~5000 yen between online and irl store.

どうぞよろしくお願いします。

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Well, that's one option to consider, but do you also mean unintended long-term consequence of card modding?

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
update: The store has confirmed that all current stock are produced last year, I take this as an indication that it will most likely probably work and I will buy it tomorrow, although I wont know for sure until I get the rest of the components so I can test it. Thank you for all your opinions.

I don't think the revised HD6950s are on the market yet. Any card you buy will be the original model. There is no reason to spend extra for the HD6970. The only difference may be slightly higher specced memory chips in comparison to some of the HD6950s. It isn't a big deal IMO. The HD6970 will not be moddable into anything better ever. It is using the full shader count present on the processor.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I usually buy from the store (tend to have better deals on the spot). For online I have used rakuten and amazon.co.jp

I often like to browse on:
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5top/
and
http://www.goodwill.jp/

I use those because I like to window shop at their stores often. Softgiga has had some pretty good specials if you know where any are, and stay away from biccamera. Not very good prices. Good luck with your build.

BTW, you have polite Japanese. :lol:

Solution