Gateway p-7811fx Display Problem

I recently got a p-7811fx with a broken screen, from my folks. A shop told them the screen is all that's wrong.

I've now replaced the screen...the inverter...not a flicker of light. The VGA-out on the laptop drives an external monitor just fine. In another thread in this forum, I see references to big overheating problems, and to it having a video card (I thought onboard video was more likely, but perhaps not...)

Does this laptop have a replaceable video card? Anyone have other suggestions, after replacing the visibly broken screen & also the inverter waferboard?

Thanks for any help...
2 answers Last reply
More about gateway 7811fx display problem
  1. BTW the display adapter shows up looking good in Device Mangler, NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS. My external monitor shows up as a Generic in the Monitors section, the laptop's monitor does not show. Display Properties on the desktop shows a Monitor 2, but even when I activate it, nothing happens, and Display Properties seemingly wants to forget that monitor is active at the drop of a hat.
  2. More diagnosis led to a significant discovery...indeed the system is not seeing the monitor, the replacement screen I replaced was the wrong monitor. So a different screen is on its way now.

I never did find if the video card can be replaced.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components