Sign in with
Your question

Building a new gaming rig, advise needed, especially on case choice

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2011 8:55:27 AM

FHey guys,

building a new rig for gaming (mainly FSX so CPU will be important), and right now finalizing my choices.

Here's the system I plan to configure:

- ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
- Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz, probably gonna cool it with a NOCTUA either NH-C14 or NH-D14. What would be the better choice ?
- ASUS 580GTX
- ANTEC TP-750 PSU
- Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ Vengeance, 3x2GB
- WD 2TB Sata600 WD2002FAEX
- Probably will throw in an OCZ 120GB SSD

Now need advise on following things:

I first thought to get the Antec P183, but then I saw that didn't have frontside USB 3.0 support. Apparently the P183 V3 does, but that's not gonna be available at the store I intend to buy the rig until somewhere in April. Instead, they are proposing me the LIAN LI PC-9F (silenced) , which has 2 front USB 3.0 ports.

As I've read that the ANTEC P183 is one of the most quite towers, I wonder how the LIAN LI will be. Is it also quite ? I don't mind a little noise but I don't permanently need a jet taking of next to me.

Also, how's the cooling of the LIAN LI PC-9F ?

The P8P67 deluxe comes with a bay for front-side USB 3.0 support, but I guess I don't need that and can just connect the midboard USB 3.0 controller to the case's built-in front side ports, right ? I just want a case than can take full advantage of the available USB ports on the board, both back and front side.

Will the 750W PSU be sufficient for this system, at gaming charge ?

Thanks for any help guys, appreciated !

TJ
March 11, 2011 9:16:08 AM

I can answer a couple of those questions. The NH-C14 is rated a bit higher than the D14 here:

http://frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can read a review of it there and also see if the dimensions will be okay with your Vengence RAM heatsinks.

As far as hooking up the USB 3.0 headers on the motherboard to the front ports: You can't do that unless the front ports are USB 3.0.

750 W will be enough to run this system. You might want to go up to 900 or so if you plan to add another gtx 580 in the future.
!