Sign in with
Your question

Can anyone tell me if computer that has shorted out during thunder storm to come

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2011 1:47:56 AM

Hello,
there was a thunder storm and a power surge.I heard a noise come from the hard drive and it went off and never came back on.What can I do?
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 1:56:56 AM

If it's really dead, you can either pay through the nose for data recovery (it's very possible that the data isn't gone, but this is ridiculously expensive) or just get a new drive. Nothing that I know of can be done to bring it right back to life.
Did you have a backup? If not, WHY NOTTTT
Worst case scenario: you have get two new drives, and ONE IS A BACKUP.
m
l
June 11, 2011 2:07:54 AM

believerpluss said:
Hello,
there was a thunder storm and a power surge.I heard a noise come from the hard drive and it went off and never came back on.What can I do?

Thank you for your response i kind of thought so. When you say back-up do you mean a disc?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 5:27:36 PM

believerpluss said:
Hello,

A disk drive is two parts. A mechanical drive and disk platter that holds data. And a computer/controller. That simple.

Buy a disk drive with the exact same part number. Remove that computer board. Replace the defective drive's computer with this new one.

Mounting screws will be torq type. Typically a less common size less than 10. Find these in Sears Hardware.

Drives can even be located in used computer stores. Search for names such as Second Source Computer or Surplus Supply or computertradeexchange.com. Use these examples to also find other sources.

If the original failure is only electronics (a classic manufacturing defect), then you have recovered your data. Now learn about backups.

If failure was mechanical, then you have a new replacement drive to fill with new data.

m
l
!