[Motherboard] Is my mobo corrupting my RAM?

jmc458

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Hello,

About a month and a half ago I put together a new computer for the first time, and since then I have been having constant problems with blue screens (Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area) and "Memory could not be read" errors. After some research and performing checks like updating the BIOS and adjusting voltage/timing settings, I came to the conclusion that it was probably my RAM (GSKILL Sniper 8GB DDR3 1333), and sure enough when I ran memtest86 it returned something like 100,000 errors after running only 10-15 minutes. This number seemed absurdly high to me, but I went ahead and ordered a different brand of RAM (Corsair XMS8 DDR3 1333), ran a memtest, returned no errors and it was smooth sailing for another week or two.

After some time passed I received another bluescreen similar to the ones I had been receiving with the GSKILL ram, ran another memtest, and I had something like 10,000 errors before the test was even finished. Recently, I have been bluescreening/having "Memory could not be read" errors multiple times a day. At this point I've concluded that it must be some other faulty hardware besides the RAM. I do not think that this is an issue with my computer overheating, and the only thing I can think of is that the motherboard should be replaced. Is there any way to confirm that it is the mother board that is causing my RAM to corrupt? Are there any other suggestions as to what might be causing my RAM to corrupt like this?

My computer's specifications:

MSI P67S-C43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 ATA Device
Antec 650W Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 SP1
Any advice is much appreciated as I am at wits end as to how to fix this problem.

Have you tried using the unpopulated DIMMs? It could be your motherboard has bad DIMM connectors/connections on the ones you have been using. If you get errors using those DIMMs, I would RMA the board for replacement because it is highly unlikely that two separate sets of RAM were bad.

jmc458

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that now. However, my concern is that the RAM has been permanently damaged and thus will still give me problems with BSODs/etc. Could this be the case if the DIMM connectors are bad, or would the RAM be unaffected?

Edit:

Tried your suggestion, got two "memory_management" bluescreens since. Not sure how to proceed, since if the RAM is just bad but the new DIMMs work, I don't want to have to potentially spend a whole lot for a new mobo. On the other hand, I don't want to get more RAM and have it corrupted again because the new DIMMs are also faulty. Any suggestions?