Sign in with
Your question

Upading from a 300w psu, any thoughts

Last response: in Components
June 11, 2011 3:49:12 AM

So I have a stock Hp computer, the model number is an HPE-515t. It comes with a 300 watt power supply and I am wanting to upgrade to at least a 500 watt supply so as to upgrade my graphics card. Is this as simple as picking out a new power supply and hooking it up inside my tower or are there other considerations to take into account? Also any advice on the proper psu would be great, so far I'm looking at a corsair 600w.
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 5:06:32 AM

Hi ChasingHibachi!
when it comes to psu any of them be compatible.However when it comes to cpu, that is another matter altogether.

Just remember that the form factor of the psu is atx.
m
l
June 11, 2011 5:08:15 AM

so are you saying I can get any psu? my cpu is an i5 760. Does this matter with regards to the power supply or can I get any old power supply?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 5:10:36 AM

not any old would psu would be ok.
Whatever psu, unless if non generic(it saves you the trouble) would be fine.
Non generic means that a reputable company has manufactured and design the circuits.Such as corsair, antec etc.
m
l
June 11, 2011 7:46:49 AM

Not any PSU would fit. I have a minitower from HP too and those are really tight. The size of the PSU should be 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.5"(L); 150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 140mm(L) or smaller. Also, the PSU shouldn't have too many connectors because the case is really small. And make sure that the card isn't too long (10 inches at most, preferably 9 inches or shorter).
So this would be my PSU recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's not exactly cheap but fairly good quality and is modular, which would be very helpful since the case is so small.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 8:58:10 AM

The HPE-515t looks like it comes in a standard sized case. Any of the smaller (750 watts or less) ATX power supply will work. If you are worried about hiding excess cables, get a modular PSU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 11, 2011 11:30:00 AM

jsc said:
The HPE-515t looks like it comes in a standard sized case. Any of the smaller (750 watts or less) ATX power supply will work. If you are worried about hiding excess cables, get a modular PSU.

Cool.
m
l
!