Asus Forumla II + SupremeFx-Fi Sound Card

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hello,

I've done a lot of research and it seems numerous people have encoutered this problem,
but I am still yet to find a solution.

I recently installed a HD6950 2GB and a Formula II mobo with a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit.
Everything is working as it should except audio.

I have no sound whatsoever, just a red cross in the bottom left.
Upon clicking it it tells me no speakers are plugged in, and only shows the video card HD audio, which I can't use.
I need to be able to use the sound card the mobo came with, but it doesn't show.
Device manager does not show it.
Installing any audio drivers comes up with errors telling me hardware is not present.

I can see it though, it is present!

It's in the correct black PCI slot, I can't use any of the others anyway as my graphics card is huge!
I have gone in to BIOS and the only audio related option i can find is HD audio yes or no for front panel.
I have HD selected as thats the plug i've used (instead of legacy 97)
I get no audio through front panel or back. It's like it doesn't exist.
The mobo does not have onboard sound either.

I am completely clueless... can anyone help? I would be eternally grateful!!!!

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have now done a fresh install of windows as well as an upgrade and it has not solved the issue, it still persists. This is causing me quite a few problems and I am unable to do my work sometimes because of it.

Its fraustrating because I'm being told over and over that the sound card isn't present, when I can see it glowing next to me snug in its slot...

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I can't install any drivers because I get an error "the audio driver files do not support your computer hardware"

I have tried the ADI2000b and many other drivers with and without compatability and all have produced the same error as if I never had a sound card...

If anyone links drivers I'll give them a try and see what happens.

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Also, using the CD that came with the motherboard (run in vista sp1 cpmpatability) the option to install the audio drivers isn't even present...

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I have installed the card on the mobo, then ran a fresh install of windows and then attempted to install drivers. Should I be installing the drivers and then the card?
The card should show up in the device manager though,
all i have under sound is 'AMD High Definition Audio Device' which I presume is my HD6950 that I can't use for audio as I'm using a 3.5 jack.

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
So i should do a fresh install of windows 7 64bit, without the sound card in the PCI. Then turn off the system and place the sound card in the mobo PCI and restart the computer and attempt to install the drivers?

The graphics card should be left in though or i won't have any screen correct?

I find it odd that the graphics card audio is noticed by the device manager straight away without drivers (yellow symbol unkown audio) but that the sound card isn't seen at all.

I'll give it a whirl anyway, thanks!

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I'm close to tearing my hair out! :eek:

I re-installed windows, added graphics drivers, let windows do all the updates it wanted to, installed the sound card on the mobo and attempted to install the latest driver for it...

And again it told me there was no hardware present, and upon inspecting the device manager its still not there.
Only my graphics card. I really don't know what to do...

I've installed latest bios... have plenty of power... I can even see that the sound card is turned on.
The computer just can't see it no matter what i try.

Any more suggestions? I'm a desperate man!!!

Which port are u using? The black one? or the white's?

krh9qsBy3DAqUhNK_500.jpg

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I've got that manual next to me and am looking at the exact same pictures.
Its definately in the correct PCI/Audio port as its a dedicated slot.

I can see it there now!

new discovery... don't know if it helps:

I just checked my device manager and in 'system devices' i have a 'high definition audio controller' located in 'PCI slot 1'.

Its just not recognised in sounds. apart from this i can't tell of its existance.

Remove the drivers, restart and install them again, after u install the card,.

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
but there aren't any drivers to uninstall... i haven't been able to install any as it tell me i have no hardware. the only drivers i have installed are my ralink internet and my hd6950 display driver. I'll download it and take a look anyway.

(there is a hd6950 audio driver installed that i can't use, when i delete and uninstall it windows automatically replaces it upon restart...)

U can disable that automatic install, but it is not the problem.

Install the card and restart and than try to install the driver.

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
The card is installed in the correct slot,
every time i try to install any drivers i'm told that "the audio driver files do not support your computer hardware"

The sound card does not show up in device manager either,
usually it would show the little yellow symbol next to something without a driver.
Here there is nothing...

Georgeous

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I don't see how it can be dead when its lighting up and displaying in system devices, also it was used by someone else until very recently.

I haven't tried safe mode yet so thankyou, i'll try that now.

I'm considering taking my computer to a repair shop,
though i don't drive and the nearest one is 4 miles away, and its a heavy pc.

I might shell out for a xonar sound card or something similar if i can't sort it out.