Upgrading from 2007 to 2011

GJX

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hello Boys and Girls, It's been a while since i last posted here.

I'm going for an upgrade on my 2007 PC, and basically i'm looking for some feedback on the picks i've made just now.

My current PC is comprised of the following:

CPU: Q6600 G0
CPU Cooler: Big Typhoon 120 VX
Mobo: GA-X38-DQ6
RAM: 2GB Kingston 800MHz CL5
HDD: 2x WD 320GB
Video Card: eVGA 8800GT
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W
Case: Enermax Chakra ECA5001
DVD-RW: Samsung SH-S203B
Monitor: Samsung 226BW
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Mouse: Logitech G5
Mousepad: Steelseries QcK

These are the parts i picked out to upgrade with:

CPU: INTEL CORE i5 2500 3.3GHZ 6MB BOX G.CPU
Mobo: GIGABYTE INTEL GA-P67A-UD3 USB 3
RAM: DDR3 4GB 1333MHZ CRUCIAL MICRON x2
HDD: 1TB 32MB SATA III 6GBs 7200 SEAGATE BARRACUDA x2
Video Card: ATI SAPPHIRE HD6870 1G GDDR5 D.DVI/HDMI/DP

I'm hoping i can keep the rest. Please comment on the choices i've made and how well they will synergize with each other and with the remainder of the previous PC.

Thanks!

Solution
Looking at what you have I would say that you can build and have a solid system. The 8800GT video card may hold you back from getting the best performance but I don’t see any problems with the items you have picked out. I would advise that you upgrade the video as soon as you can. Other than that the only other thing I would advise you to look at SSDs. Something like the Intel® Solid-State Drive X25-M 80GB would be a great boot drive for you, and you will be shocked at how big of a change on boot and access times.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Looking at what you have I would say that you can build and have a solid system. The 8800GT video card may hold you back from getting the best performance but I don’t see any problems with the items you have picked out. I would advise that you upgrade the video as soon as you can. Other than that the only other thing I would advise you to look at SSDs. Something like the Intel® Solid-State Drive X25-M 80GB would be a great boot drive for you, and you will be shocked at how big of a change on boot and access times.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

GJX

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the input.

I do intend to upgrade my video card from the 8800GT to the HD6870. I'm quite positive it will be the appropriate upgrade considering the rest of the system.