Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

ASUS P5Q - Compatibility (RAM and CPU)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 11, 2012 10:12:05 PM

I have an Asus P5LD2, with a DualCore 3.4Ghz processor.

I bought 4x1GB PC-6400 800Mhz DDR2 dual-channel ram (had 1x2GB), and a used Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz processor. Unfortunately, turns out that my motherboard only supports this CPU, if it's rev2.0 and up, mine was rev1.02.

Plus, the BIOS reads the 4GB ram as PC-5300 400Mhz. HWINFO32 does show the proper info though.

So... not wanting to waste the new ram, and the processor was pretty cheap so, found a used ASUS P5Q board for sale.

Before I run into any other problems... can anyone see any potential issues? Like will the Power Supply I have for the P5LD2 work on a P5Q? Will the ram read at full speed? Anything like that?

I'm hoping to get a bit more life out of my system while I save up for an 8-Core Mac Pro, at which time the PC will be a devoted media player running XBMC... so was ok with a minor "cheap" upgrade. Now, with needing another motherboard... the cheap upgrade is well, not as cheap as hoped. But, I figure doubling the ram, using faster ram, switching to a Core2 processor, plus my PCI-e video card is a v2.0 card running in a v1.0 slot so... hoping for a noticeable increase in performance.

Just wanting to avoid another headache before it happens. Thanks.
February 12, 2012 6:02:17 PM

Anyone? even if the P5Q uses the same PSU connections as the P5LD2?

Anyone know if I'll see speed changes in ram/video?

Basically right now
- Pentium 4 D 3.4Ghz switching to Pentium Core2Duo E6600 2.3Ghz
- ATI HD5670 1GB PCI-e v2.0 card in a PCI-e v1.0 slot, will switch to a v2.0 slot
- 4x1GB Dual Channel PC6400 800Mhz ram, BIOS reads it as PC5300 400Mhz

Things for under $100 it'll be decent, plus, the board supports Core2 Quad, so, when a used one of those is cheap in a year can always swap that out.

Just worried, I'll get this and realize the PSU plugs don't fit, or, something like that.
Score
0

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 7:04:19 PM

THRobinson said:
Anyone? even if the P5Q uses the same PSU connections as the P5LD2?

Anyone know if I'll see speed changes in ram/video?

Basically right now
- Pentium 4 D 3.4Ghz switching to Pentium Core2Duo E6600 2.3Ghz
- ATI HD5670 1GB PCI-e v2.0 card in a PCI-e v1.0 slot, will switch to a v2.0 slot
- 4x1GB Dual Channel PC6400 800Mhz ram, BIOS reads it as PC5300 400Mhz

Things for under $100 it'll be decent, plus, the board supports Core2 Quad, so, when a used one of those is cheap in a year can always swap that out.

Just worried, I'll get this and realize the PSU plugs don't fit, or, something like that.


I have a P5QL myself, and everything id the same with all retail ATX & mATX boards, as its a standard, and as for speed changes in memory & graphics, its gonna be a bit faster, but not any major noticeable increase. As for any issues, the only one you might run into is cooler size, if the board has memory slots packed together, its gonna be a squeeze, same goes with any add-on cards with the graphics card if it has a dual slot cooler on it.
Share
Related resources
February 12, 2012 7:21:12 PM

Hmm...

I have an ASUS case (which is why aiming for an ASUS board, everything wires up nicely for the case lights and such) and the ATI HD5670 1GB card.

The CPU came with an unused INTEL fan/cooler that comes with the processor when bought new, so, the basic standard size... no overly large water cooled dual fan coolers or anything like that.

I tend to keep things simple, no overclocking, no flashing lights, $80 cpu fans, etc... just the basic starndard stuff so... hopefully no issues.

PSU wise, I was just worried because when I switched from a P4 3Ghz, to the Pentium Dualcore 3.4Ghz, the motherboard needed a different power supply. If I recall correctly, an extra 4-pin connector at the end of the main plug.

I had an ASUS P4P800-e, switched to the P5DL2. Had to grab a new PSU, got a big 650w BFG brand PSU and well, hate to part with it, been working great and not very loud.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 7:30:36 PM

THRobinson said:
Hmm...

I have an ASUS case (which is why aiming for an ASUS board, everything wires up nicely for the case lights and such) and the ATI HD5670 1GB card.

The CPU came with an unused INTEL fan/cooler that comes with the processor when bought new, so, the basic standard size... no overly large water cooled dual fan coolers or anything like that.

I tend to keep things simple, no overclocking, no flashing lights, $80 cpu fans, etc... just the basic starndard stuff so... hopefully no issues.

PSU wise, I was just worried because when I switched from a P4 3Ghz, to the Pentium Dualcore 3.4Ghz, the motherboard needed a different power supply. If I recall correctly, an extra 4-pin connector at the end of the main plug.

I had an ASUS P4P800-e, switched to the P5DL2. Had to grab a new PSU, got a big 650w BFG brand PSU and well, hate to part with it, been working great and not very loud.


Ah, the extra four pin connector or 20+4 as its called, plugs in the same way as the older 20 pin would, but supplies additional power, otherwise, no major issues with anything
Score
0
February 12, 2012 7:36:03 PM

Ya that's it... ASUS site fails to mention 20 or 20+4... and since been a while since I have built systems, I'm not 100% sure if the 20+4 is now replaced with something else or still standard.

Use to build systems, but, gotta say... since the Pentium4, it's getting harder to track what is what. Use to be that a P1 was slower than a P2 and that was it... now with P4, there is D, Celeron, dualCore, Core2Duo, i3, i5... sheesh. :) 
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 7:43:03 PM

THRobinson said:
Ya that's it... ASUS site fails to mention 20 or 20+4... and since been a while since I have built systems, I'm not 100% sure if the 20+4 is now replaced with something else or still standard.

Use to build systems, but, gotta say... since the Pentium4, it's getting harder to track what is what. Use to be that a P1 was slower than a P2 and that was it... now with P4, there is D, Celeron, dualCore, Core2Duo, i3, i5... sheesh. :) 


Its still 20+4, its still a standard until someone invents something better, and yeah, its getting confusing as clock speed went out the window and multi-core, multi-branding became the new standard, though, price is still the standard on how a specific part performs, as the higher the cost is, the higher performing it will be.
Score
0
February 12, 2012 7:50:29 PM

Yup... it's the only sure factor for processors.

Ignore the numbers, lame code-names, etc... just look at the socket type to see if it'll fit, and look at the price tag. :) 

Thanks for the info... just paranoid about potential issues. That P5LD2 motherboard revision BS really was a kick in the pants that I did not anticipate. :) 
Score
0
February 12, 2012 7:51:32 PM

Best answer selected by THRobinson.
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
February 12, 2012 8:17:17 PM

THRobinson said:
Yup... it's the only sure factor for processors.

Ignore the numbers, lame code-names, etc... just look at the socket type to see if it'll fit, and look at the price tag. :) 

Thanks for the info... just paranoid about potential issues. That P5LD2 motherboard revision BS really was a kick in the pants that I did not anticipate. :) 


No problem, its understandable, these days, who knows what version is what, and for anyone used to the way branding used to be, it can be a bit daunting at first, as there is more of a selection, but as you said, just ignore numbers, codenames, and versions, and just select what is compatible, and what fits a pre-determined budget and everyone should be fine.
Score
0
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 13, 2012 4:05:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!