  • Command Prompt
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 6:22:52 PM

Ok I am just embarking upon playing my first game as the scum 'cough',
eh the Privateers. I have read the guides at K/command, plus Tim's, is
there other good ones out there?

What I want to know is this. How many col's does one need to take
advantage of the type 1 mech and contra hoarding money making thingie?

Secondly, after reading Micheal Macfarland's excellant guide he states
that,

"Just when you thought you could get no more tech
increases......20,000 from the boss!!"

Does this mean that the Priv's get 20,000mc at t4?

Do all ships with the relevant experiance level get to train crew,
troops, and HG? I know this may be a stupid question but I get the
impression only 2 ships do it.

Any help would be appreciated,
THX,
Captain Pearl (aka Soxee)

More about : priv contra hoarding

Anonymous
June 26, 2005 3:43:31 AM

> What I want to know is this. How many col's does one need to take
> advantage of the type 1 mech and contra hoarding money making thingie?

colonists have nothing to do with that AFAIK

> Secondly, after reading Micheal Macfarland's excellant guide he states
> that,
>
> "Just when you thought you could get no more tech
> increases......20,000 from the boss!!"
>
> Does this mean that the Priv's get 20,000mc at t4?

jep - 20k - but it goes into the GB.
You need these mc for the hull tech to get MBRs as soon as possible..

> Do all ships with the relevant experiance level get to train crew,
> troops, and HG? I know this may be a stupid question but I get the
> impression only 2 ships do it.

All ships have this property .. even Super freighters .. if you manage to
get their exp high enough ;)

Lordfire
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:19:26 PM

Thx 4 your reply Lordy. answered all my questions very nicely. I like
the no col's for making money thingie the best though :-> (very big
evil grin)
June 27, 2005 10:39:07 AM

soxee wrote:
> Thx 4 your reply Lordy. answered all my questions very nicely. I like
> the no col's for making money thingie the best though :-> (very big
> evil grin)

I wouldn't plow money into the type 1 mechs early in the game though.
The return is quite low (depends on contra prices for exact amount,
there's usually one type that sticks in the 2-3mc per unit range). That
still means they still take 7 turns to pay themselves off. Better to
get your Lady Royale and MBR's.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 5:24:24 PM

True Smilely. However, I had no intention of buying contra, I'll let
the MCBR do that for me.

You got any other good tips for playing the scum, that is not in the
guides?

Thx,
Robert.
June 27, 2005 7:10:49 PM

1. once you have some troops (your dwarf should make quite a lot for
you) send loads and loads of your high speed pods to every planet you
can see. they are your eyes and go on other people's nerves (but don't
send them from your HW, make a special podding base).

2. try to be as evil as you can and try to use every possibility you
have to upset other people and curb their happiness (selling contra to
them, make bases with 1000+ colos in a range of 200ly of their
bases...)

3. if you find another HW, jump in 49ly away and steel all their food.
that will cripple your opponents growth for some turns.

4. find ways to make experience on your dwarfs and meteors and you will
have more HGs than anybody else.

that's all for the moment, haven't played them for a while but they
definitely are a fun race ;-)

criss

soxee wrote:
> True Smilely. However, I had no intention of buying contra, I'll let
> the MCBR do that for me.
>
> You got any other good tips for playing the scum, that is not in the
> guides?
>
> Thx,
> Robert.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:01:06 PM

Yep One needs 10000 col's to piss off other races.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:03:29 PM

Yep point one already in operation, got to love those 120 speed pods
;-0

Point three I'm weary about due to fighters on intercept, but thanks
for the tips.

Now, where were those Ghip's and Amp's....

Robert.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:23:29 PM

Feb 17th, 2004

What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.161

New: Privateers need at least 10000 colonists in a base to cause ill effects
to surrounding enemy bases

> 2. try to be as evil as you can and try to use every possibility you
> have to upset other people and curb their happiness (selling contra to
> them, make bases with 1000+ colos in a range of 200ly of their
> bases...)

Witch on is true for host 193 ?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:16:04 AM

The general Priv tip:

Do not fear to loose MBRs.
These ships are actually extreme cheap .. once you have 'some' money.
Either build MBRs to fight or MBRs to steal. Not both.
Put only a little bit fuel on them and jump to your enemy. Be fast and very
agressive.
In the long run privs always loose, because 200MBRs cost more fuel than you
could ever have and in the end most games are full with grav mines.. well -
most smaller maps at least ;)

Lordfire

"soxee" <crooksy9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yep point one already in operation, got to love those 120 speed pods
> ;-0
>
> Point three I'm weary about due to fighters on intercept, but thanks
> for the tips.
>
> Now, where were those Ghip's and Amp's....
>
> Robert.

June 28, 2005 6:15:50 PM

oh, sorry, I mixed that up.
of course you're right. cheers.
as I said, I haven't played them for quite a while...
June 28, 2005 7:01:29 PM

sorry again, of course that was the response for Lord Lancelot and his
10 000 colos correction.

and @soxee: most of the players I played against didn't give a damn
about homefighters on intercept. and some races don't even have
fighters that can fly 50ly (e.g. solorians). so unless you know you're
playing against quite experienced V4 players just go for it. at least
after turn 9 when you should be able to produce some more of these nice
MTBRs :-)))

have fun,
criss
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 3:48:46 AM

Thanks for your tips, I'm sure I will do ok now.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:25:43 AM

In the long run privs always loose, because 200MBRs cost more fuel than
you
could ever have and in the end most games are full with grav mines..
well -
most smaller maps at least ;)

I agree... with the change making it impossible for them to build
minesweepers, they have to rely on those they can steal. I've never
been able to steal enough to make any real difference.

The Privs are what they are. (pretty good logic there, eh?) They are
excellent at helping another race win, but to win themselves they have
to get the other races to fight it out amoung themselves, then pick up
the pieces afterwards.
!