Hot li'l 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewanderer14

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I picked up a Galaxy 460 from NewEgg and dropped it into my Biotech mobo. I had one spare PCI slot left, so I used it for my wireless card.

Problem is the Galaxy 460 has a fan that blows hot air down, and the outlet is less than half an inch from the wireless card, which effectively covers more than 25% of that fan outlet. Playing some games last night on what I would consider 1-2 year old directX 9 formats I was getting GPU temps over 57.

Should I be concerned about that? Is there a solution?

That is a good, low, temperature, there's no need to worry.
If you want to really tax the card run Furmark (Google it), anything under 70C will be very good.
If you're still concerned, we'll need to know what case you're using so we can suggest ways to improve airflow and cooling.

thewanderer14

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Whew! Thanks guys. Not concerned in the least if below 80 is normal. I was using Speedfan while playing and the little flames that showed up made me all sweaty.

My first build here, and first gaming PC in about 7 years. So, thanks for the institutional knowledge.

While I'm being an idiot, Norton keeps popping up and warning me that "a CPU core is at 100%". I don't care and should tell Norton to mind it's own business, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.