Wanted to raise this point

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i recently had to send a motherboard back to asus, received the replacement the other day....to my surprise this motherboard had two seals on it (official stickers sealing the bag). This used to be generally what you would expect with any new motherboard....but after buying motherboards on and off from newegg , i never see a seal ever. i also see that people will note this in their reviews also. generally we expect a seal on any new piece of hardware (always have seals on every other piece of hardware i order), when and why did this practice stop with motherboards? also, if anyone here has any experience with amazon,tigerdirect, or the like, do they also ship you your motherboard with no seal? (discounting a piece of scotch tape).

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
i pretty much buy strictly asus, so maybe it's just asus then....i did buy an asrock board a few months ago, and as far as i remember it did not have a seal either...though afaik asrock is just a branch of asus anyway.

Actually, I never bought a piece of hardware that didn't have a seal on it. Not the scotch tape one but the company stickers, on the outside sealing the box and on the inside sealing the antistatic bag.
The only cases I know of that have those seals broken or removed are the ones that sell as open boxes on Newegg or seconds used by people already....

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
do you buy asus? it's looking more and more like asus is the culprit. i know for a fact that this is not only happening to me (otherwise i would not have raised the point on a message board). i know rl friends and acquaintances, as well as many people online this has happened to as well. maybe the answer has revealed itself that quickly, it's just asus doing this....

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
It must be Asus because I usually buy Asus and recently just bought a sabertooth board and I don't believe it had a seal on it either? The outside of the box did have a seal however.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I really want to get this nailed down, because when i received the board directly from asus the other day, it did have a seal on it. i would like to see if anyone on here is buying from another source, such as amazon or tigerdirect, to see if this is something newegg is doing, or if asus is sending them the motherboards like this.

Of course it's new-egg's doing..... Asus isn't going to send anybody an unsealed product which is new..... not unless they specify so....
If your equipment is refurbished, it has a seal on it stating refurbished, if it is new, it has the original seal on it and if it was repaired , it will have no seals but stickers on it stating numbers and checks...

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
are you drunk? do you not understand this is happening to many many people? asus products coming from newegg (at least motherboards) are being reported by many people as not having seals. this needs to be looked at as to why it's happening. a good start is to find out if people buying from other outlets are also receiving motherboards without seals, please post here if you have purchased asus motherboards from other web sites other than newegg. thank you.

Why would I be Drunk?? You have a problem understanding, it's only Newegg customers who are ending up with opened packs and faulty DOA equipment....
The rest of us have already tried out stuff from other sites and usually send them back if the seals aren't as they are supposed to be.....Common Sense prevails....
People buying their stuff from shops straight across the counter are not ending up with open packages.....

Maybe Asus ran out of seals or some guy sent them out without quality control/assurance? who knows.
I haven't returned anything to Newegg before; Is it a pain to RMA with them?

I understand your points Frizzo; They should have the factory seals on them. Newegg should send them back to Asus, or any other company, if they find that they are without seals for whatever reason.

I have had packages (sealed plastic enclosures) for memory from newegg "broken open" on 2 or 3 occasions ..... any vendor is only as good as their individual employees and I suspected that someone was "picking" looking for a very OC'able set.

Newegg replaced them w/o question.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
this is all happening over the course of 1+ year now. here are just some motherboards that i have ordered (not to mention the boards people i know irl have gotten, also the people who make notes in their reviews)

890fx asus m4a89td pro

p67 deluxe

p67 pro rev 3.1

p67 maximus

that is just off the top of my head, over the course of a year...none had seals. also received an asus gtx 560 without a seal. i ordered a powercolor 6950 few weeks ago, had seals. i also ordered an 890fx asrock recently, can't remember, pretty sure it had no seal. for the unteenth time, i know newegg takes items back, i have cut deals with newegg on occasion to keep open box items at discounted prices, the question is why is this happening?