RE: Removing the Processor

chineseswashbuckler

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Hey guys,

This probably seems really basic to some people, but I would like to be careful and not screw up my new computer.

I bought the new AMD A8 processor and I need to replace my old phenom II processor. My current motherboard is compatible with the new AMD A8 processor that I bought.

After I removed the heat sink and the old processor, is it ok just to put the new processor and heatsink in and boot? (The only part that I was replacing was the processor.) Is there any setup things that I need to do?

Also, if I were to decide to buy new memory to replace the old memory completely, could I just replace it directly on the system, or is there a process to remove it. I saw some online tutorials, but I'm still confused.

D

Deleted member 217926

Make sure your motherboard does not require a BIOS update before it will support the new processor.

After that it is just a matter of removing the old heatsink and cpu and replacing it with the new one.

RAM is the same way. Just open the end clips and lift out the old RAM then place the new RAM in the slots and push down until the clips engage on the ends of the sticks. If the stick is inserted properly it will be clipped in place.

Check out the second pic. The top slot is open for removal the other slots are secured.

http://apcmag.com/server-tour-ram-pci-express-and-graphics.htm

corrinavatan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Just to be absolutely certain of the process:

Pre-installation: make sure your mobo has the latest firmware update, and the firmware update has your new processor listed in the compatability listing.

1. Turn off your machine, and unplug it, and let it sit for about two minutes. Some motherboards will even have a light indicating that there is still some juice going through the mobo even after it is unplugged, wait for this to turn off, which at most should only take two minutes. Some people go so far as to even unplug all the power headers to the mobo, but yomv.

2. Ground yourself. Some people do this by using an anti-static wrist strap, others just put their hands on the power supply case to discharge electricity there.

3. Remove the old heatsink, and then the processor.

4. Put in your new processor.

5. Apply thermal paste to the processor (you can skip this if your cpu fan has a thermal pad already applied and that is what you intend to use)

6. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE BOTTOM COVER FROM YOUR CPU COOLER! I've seen people forget to remove the plastic protective cover, which can cause your machine to run 20C hotter than it should.

7. Attach the cooler to the CPU, and secure it to the mobo.

8. Power the machine on. Once it boots, clean up the old cpu fan and cpu, as you can probably sell them online on ebay or something. However, don't get rid of it until you are certain your new system boots, in case you have a DOA processor.

There isn't much of a process for removing ram, per se. You open the clips where the RAM goes, and push it in securely; if you do it right, the clips will close by themselves from the pressure, holding the RAM in place.

However, you should consult your mobo's technical sheets/online resources to make sure the RAM you intend on purchasing is compatible with it.

D

Deleted member 217926

That's about it in a nutshell. The RAM is keyed so you can't put it in backwards. It has a notch in the stick that will only line up one way. You may also feel like you are pushing pretty hard on the RAM but that's normal.