My first build and need a little input

RobbyC30

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Hi all, ive decided my 5 year old XPS 600 needs a replacement. Ive been told cooling is a big issue, Heres what i have bought so far...

NZXT Phantom white case
Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 16GB
P67A-GD65 MOBO

I plan on running Win 7Premium 64 bit, getting a Corsair 1000W ps, unless i could go with something less.

What im really lost on is storage/HD's, and a Blueray/DVD drive. Im gonna get a side fan for the case too. Any recommendations would be great :)

And ive been reading the threads on the i2500 and i2600k, was thinking about the 2600k, but if i can save a lil bit thatd be nice too

I play wow, rift, will be playing Battlefield 3 when that drops, and use the system for school. Am i overkilling? sure am, but who know what game ill get roped into next.

Hello RobbyC30;

What monitor resolution will you be using? We can match that to a video card that will run well at that resolution.
And once we know the video card we can size the PSU to match the needs of the whole system.

For a gaming system a i5 2500K is a better 'bang for buck' option. And 4GB of RAM is actually plenty, but 8GB is only like $20~$25 more.

Have you set a budget for this project?
If you fill out the form in*How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll get a good start to answering all the standard questions that help us get you started.

RobbyC30

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I already have the 16gigs of ram, I have an LG 23in monitor, running 1920x1080. I was thinking about going with a gtx 460, but if something else will be better and can save some cash, ill do it :)