Internet access on laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2005 9:03:15 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone of you good people tell me if its possible to gain internet
access on a laptop, mines a DELL CPX H500GT, while away from home? IE,
when in a car etc.
The reason for this is that im a European Delivery Driver and I sometimes
could do with access while away from home.
If this can be done, how do I do it and what is the initial cost for
achieving this?
I was under the impression that the idea of a laptop was to be able to do
everything you do at home, while on the move!!

Thanx alot,
Micky, me@micky-k.freeserve.co.uk or text/phone 07941888270 anytime.

More about : internet access laptop

April 7, 2005 9:03:16 PM

Micky-1stop <me@micky-k.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: Hi all,

: Can anyone of you good people tell me if its possible to gain internet
: access on a laptop, mines a DELL CPX H500GT, while away from home? IE,
: when in a car etc.
: The reason for this is that im a European Delivery Driver and I sometimes
: could do with access while away from home.
: If this can be done, how do I do it and what is the initial cost for
: achieving this?
: I was under the impression that the idea of a laptop was to be able to do
: everything you do at home, while on the move!!

Not sure what things are like in Europe, but here in the US, you can
connect your laptop to the internet via a cell phone connection,
either with your wireless phone or with a PC Card for your computer that
talks like a wireless phone to get on the internet. I think all the
wireless phone companies have plans to do so. Speed is not likely to
be very fast, though. Verizon does have broadband cell/wireless
service in a few cities but it is not yet widespread.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 7, 2005 9:03:16 PM

Get a Sony Ericsson GC79 card.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 17:03:15 +0100, "Micky-1stop"
<me@micky-k.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Can anyone of you good people tell me if its possible to gain internet
>access on a laptop, mines a DELL CPX H500GT, while away from home? IE,
>when in a car etc.
>The reason for this is that im a European Delivery Driver and I sometimes
>could do with access while away from home.
>If this can be done, how do I do it and what is the initial cost for
>achieving this?
>I was under the impression that the idea of a laptop was to be able to do
>everything you do at home, while on the move!!
>
>Thanx alot,
>Micky, me@micky-k.freeserve.co.uk or text/phone 07941888270 anytime.

Related resources
April 8, 2005 2:31:08 AM

I use my laptop connected to my mobile phone via bluetooth using a GPRS
connection to O2 mobile web. Download speeds are slightly faster than
dialup. However this is only good for surfing/email. Download anything and
your bank balance will soon drop quite alot!

Depending on which mobile phone u have u may only need to purchase a
bluetooth dongle for your laptop to get on the net.

Dan

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2005 2:31:09 AM

the laptop hasn't got usb, lol
"Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
>I use my laptop connected to my mobile phone via bluetooth using a GPRS
>connection to O2 mobile web. Download speeds are slightly faster than
>dialup. However this is only good for surfing/email. Download anything and
>your bank balance will soon drop quite alot!
>
> Depending on which mobile phone u have u may only need to purchase a
> bluetooth dongle for your laptop to get on the net.
>
> Dan
>
> Dan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 11, 2005 9:47:49 PM

>the laptop hasn't got usb, lol

You can buy a PCMCIA slot card with USB2 ports on it. I have one with
4 such ports and it cost only $20.

!