RV02-E worth extra $ over original RV02?

Uni-duni-te

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hello,
I'm looking for a case for my new build and after a lot of research I'm pretty much decided for a Raven case.
Amazon has the RV02B-W for $159.99 (with a $20 rebate it totals at $139.99), and the RV02B-EW for $178.00.
I like the fact that the RV02 has 8 expansion slots, over the 7 slots on the RV02-E. From what I've looked up, the only diferences between them is the RV02-E has only 7 slots, but also has extra HDD bays and the main pros is that it has the AP181 penetrator fans, that by the reviews I've seen, on low cool at least as good as the normal RV02 fans on high.
What do you guys think? is the RV02-E worth the $38 more? and is it worth losing an expansion slot?
I was also considering the RV03 case, but I'm worried it is noisier than the RV02's, besides having a lot more plastic that can break.
Opinions?

My setup:
CPU: i5 2500k
Cooler: Xigmatec Gaia
Video: 2x XFX 6950 (mod to 6970)
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 4
RAM: 8Gb 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W
(CPU, cooler and video cards already purchased. The MB, RAM and PSU I'm ordering today, should I change any of them?)

I'm planning on OC, no water cooling, and I value more cooling and silence over aesthetics. Budget wise, I don't plan on spending more than that $180 stretch I'd be already making for the RV02-E.

Solution
If you can afford it then surely get the AP181 fan version. The price difference is justifiable as those fans have an asking price of about 20$ when bought separately.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Do you plan on using the eighth slot? I tried to find the reviews that stated the eighth slot interferred with some optical drives and cabling, but was unsuccessful. Silverstone also improved the hard drive mounting system. Check out :bounce: Bit-tech's First Look comparision.
Regarding the RV03, it does have one less fan to make noise but there are not many reviews on it. Be aware that the PSU is mounted on the bottom front with the exhaust facing the window side. I have some photos of my rig on Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery, page 5, approximately 14 posts down. Pricing is around $160, but I found a couple of sites quoting $140 which I used to price match at a local store :sol: .

Uni-duni-te

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I read somewhere that the regular RV02's started being shipped with the AP181 fans in september, so I ended up deciding to give the regular RV02 a try. I thought that even if it didn't come with them I could buy them later and the extra expansion slot would be worth it.
I just received my case, and can confirm that it came with the AP181 fans, instead of the old regular fans! so it was totaly worth the shot. RV02 case with 8 expansion slots, AP181 fans, and to make it even sweeter deal, for $139.90 after rebate with free shipping! is it christmas already?

Uni-duni-te

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take a couple pictures of the case when I build the system, and show the AP181 fans on the regular RV02, just for it to be on the record.