Current thoughts on Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I am currently waiting for an asrock z68 extrm3 gen3 mobo to ship in the mail for a gaming system I'm building, and I'm starting to get worried by all of the negative comments and opinions that people have of this particular mobo and brand. Newegg has about 225 reviews with a 4/5 avg, but I still hear people bash it, and I'm worried that I might end up regretting buying the board.

What is the general consensus of the asrock z68 here on toms? Should I not even open the box and just send it back to Newegg?

Solution

Hey,

I build 2 PC's with this board and it great budget board, with ASUS DNA. Just the warranty is 2 years.

Don't worry about that :)

e56imfg

Distinguished
It's probably one of the best mobos for that price point. People say the BIOS can be a little funky and it doesn't have the BEST heatsinks but it should be fine for moderate OCing. Then again, that's most likely the beefiest heatsink at that price anyways.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I just know that someone on this forums is convinced that they are utter trash, and it's kind of worrying me. Asrock only provides 2 year warranty vs the 3 year warranty that most others have. Should I keep the asrock board?

I find that to be a deal killer. Seems to me that they have about 2/3 as much confidence in their boards as every other MoBo manufacturer have in their's .... but if ya budget restricts the purchase of anything else, I can't argue against taking the chance. If building for someone else tho, I don't wanna be asked to "fix" the box after 25 months and the MoBo manufacturer says "sorry".

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, I mean my options would be to just send the package right back to Newegg and pay for the restocking and shipping fees, and go with another board, but like e56 said, there aren't really many options for boards with that kind of features for that price.

Do motherboards have the issue of breaking or dying after that long of being fine? I know capacitor technology has come quite a long ways, and I was under the assumption that if you get a board that isn't DOA and works for a substantial amount of time, that you will be good to go in the long run.

hedshotx

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
How long have you had it cuecuemore? I'm getting this board partly because of its future proofness with it's ivy bridge compatibility and it's PCIe 3.0 compatibility, so I'm hoping to keep it for as long as possible, hoping that it won't die on me.

Hey,

I build 2 PC's with this board and it great budget board, with ASUS DNA. Just the warranty is 2 years.

Don't worry about that :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS