Upgrading pre-built pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy_09

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hello I bought my pre-built HP pc about two years ago, and I am looking into upgrading my motherboard in order to be able to do some overclocking. I was wondering if it was necessary to purchase a new operating system or if I could just use the current OS that I am using now? I am a noob when it comes to computers

Solution
Any ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock motherboard that supports AM3 socket will allow you to overclock. you may need to buy a new case as well however, and look into getting a power supply. And yes you will need to pick up a copy of Windows 7 unfortunately, OEM version go for about $100 for Win7 basic. The only problem is that the OS is basically married to your motherboard so if you upgrade your motherboard again its very difficult to use the same product key. good luck

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Neat. I'm doing this with my old Acer.

Problem was I didn't really realize it's an HTPC... I mean I knew it was small, but I didn't realize it was THAT small. The motherboard it uses is a DTX... which is an odd-ball kind of micro ATX. Along with a super freaky PSU. Basically no motherboard that's sold currently will fit in that thing, so the first thing I had to get was a new (more conventional case).

But yeah... I feel for you. The whole OS thing is an unexpected extra 130$ dropped on the build-budget. I had thought of trying for Linux or something... but... I don't think it can do games.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
That's usually the problem with buying a pre-built computer store PC. keeps you incredibly limited on upgrades. I would save your cash and build one for yourself or have someone else build one for you. The initial cost can seem expensive but you can always recycle parts from your old build to a new one saving your plenty in the future.

ziggy_09

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
I mean I have decent processor that I plan on overclocking (amd athlon ii x4 630) and a 1 TB HDD, a gtx 460, and 6 GB of DDR3, but my mobo is locked so I can not mess with the BIOS at all. Basically I am looking for a motherboard that will support my current processor but will allow me to upgrade when the time comes. Any suggestions?

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Any ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock motherboard that supports AM3 socket will allow you to overclock. you may need to buy a new case as well however, and look into getting a power supply. And yes you will need to pick up a copy of Windows 7 unfortunately, OEM version go for about $100 for Win7 basic. The only problem is that the OS is basically married to your motherboard so if you upgrade your motherboard again its very difficult to use the same product key. good luck

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.