Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which video card should I upgrade to

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2011 10:03:12 PM

Built this system about a year ago and have been very happy with the price/performance with combos and rebates have about 450$ into it so far

Phenom II X2 550 (unlocked to triple) Oc'd 3.8ghz
MSI 785g-e45
6 gb DDR3 1333 corsair
corsair 650 watt psu
antec 300
HD 6750 512mb
Hanns G 20" monitor 1600x900 (cant remember resolution specifically)

The 6750 has been a great card for a workstation but i'm finding that I need a little more power as I've had to dial my resolution back to get better fps in the few games that I play. The games being WoW and Supreme commander.

I've seen the 5770 as low as 119.00$ as the new 6000 series cards have come out. I would like to get a 6870 but its twice as much...my question being am I getting twice the card?

May upgrade monitor to a larger 1080p and would also like to play occasionally on my 50" hitachi 1080p.....

Again I'd like to go with the 6870 (256 bit) but if the 5770 can do the job I don't see why I would spend twice as much

Thank you for your thoughts & expertise

More about : video card upgrade

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
January 6, 2011 10:59:26 PM

I think either a 6850 or a 5830 would do the job nicely.When your talking about a 5770 to a 6870 then yes you are doubling in performance but if your a light gamer than i don't think you need anything that big.A 5770 will get the job done just fine but a 6850/5830 is better for the long run,just my opinon.
Just for reference:
1)6850=most powerful
2)5830=more powerful
3)5770=powerful

Do you play any other games?
January 6, 2011 11:19:45 PM

i vote for 5830 if you're only planning to play those games.
if u want to play newer games with eye candy such as crysis 2, you need to dig deeper into your wallet.
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 12:31:10 AM

Off topic but,what type of cooler do you have?
m
l
January 7, 2011 6:00:37 PM

Thank you all for you responding.

I've got a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for my cpu cooler, and added two extra 120mm fans to the case. Seems to be running fine so far, although I do get an occasional wow crash from time to time (think its the software or something on there end). Thinking about dialing my oc back a bit as I probably doubt I really need 3.8ghz and I do get a very ocassional system crash...not sure if it's the overclock, win 7 or a myriad of other things but overall it's been a very strong performer. Maybe I should post in another forum on how to dial in my oc a little better.

I've mainly been into strategy games such as shogun total war, starcraft, medivel total war, empire earth and more recently supreme commander and just started playing WoW. Now that I hit 85 and getting ready to start raiding etc thought it might be time for a new GPU as having multiple players such as in a BG really strains my GPU. Havn't really had the time to get into first person shooter type of games that have all the "eye candy" and are very graphically demanding. But yeah from what I've seen the graphics in those games are very impressive.

I was looking at he same card as rolli59 suggested as its 160 after rebates which seems like a good value overall. 120$ for the 5770 or 160$ for the 6850 think spending the extra 40 bucks is worth it. Although the games I play now don't take advantage of crossfire I guess that would be an option down the road if I wanted to update my MB. But if I went that route I might as well just put that money into a single GPU now which would put my budget closer to 250$ which at this time is a little more than I want to spend. Decisions decision, lol

Thanks for your input all
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 6:18:10 PM

I think getting the 6850 is well worth the money,you will be impressed.

Have you been running stress test for the CPU?
m
l
January 7, 2011 6:59:06 PM

I ran it through AMD's overdrive stress test. I'm sure there are more in depth stress tests but it passed three times with no errors so I thought "touchdown" I was pretty happy when it unlocked to a triple. Couldn't get the system to boot up with all four cores enabled. It was my first build. With the unlocked multiplier oc'ing seemed easy enough but any advice you have would be appreciated. can't get a real accurate read on cpu temps but in the bios its in the mid 30's while gaming low 30's while idle. Guess I should recheck that as that was as of about 8 months ago.

Yeah everything seems to be pointing to the 6850 and I've seen a pretty good price on an ASUS I've heard it's a good brand although I've always used MSI as I've had good experiences with their products my p4 from 2002 is still running on an MSI board never a problem with that system was just way outdated couldn't even turn it into an HTPC but built one for 250$ gotta say the HD4250 graphics impressed me for video playback and Hulu/Netflix. I'll probably put the old 5670 in that system, when I upgrade to 6850 and could possibly use it to play some of those older games on the bigscreen, but now I'm getting of subject.

What other tests would you recommend?

m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 10:32:11 PM

You should really monitor your temps more often,sometimes the temps can rise after time,mine did.How long did you run the stress test for?The longer you run a test the less chance you will ahve at crashing in the future.What is the max temp for your CPU?
Also AMD Overdrive is good, but running Prime95 will "fully" stress out the CPU/Memory.Running Prime95 over AMD overdrive test will raise the temps around 3-4c because it's more extreme testing(I haven't found out how to use all of Prime95 but it should prompt you when it first opens what you want to stress and i pick either "Blend" or "IN-Plance large FFT's" for maxmimum heat)
You should go stress test it now and get full temp readings when it's maxed out and when it's idle and post them.

Either MSI or Asus are quality brands over the others i would suggest getting it.The Asus and MSI have unique voltage tweaking software for maximum O.C.ing.And the heatsinks they provide are very good too.
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:45:37 AM

Best answer selected by pacific27.
m
l
!