unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
My laptop's specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
AMD Athlon II P360 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs) ~2.3GHz
Memory 6GB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

So I recently noticed that when I run programs that are considered heavy (like a PS2 emulator called PCSX2) I check the task manager and it says I only use 22% of my memory.
I also noticed that my page file memory is automatically set to 6GB... I now I didn't do that lol

So is there a way to use more of that RAM to run programs better?
Should I use less page file to do that?
I also read somewhere that I can change the max memory option in msconfig under boot tab.

Any ideas?

Yes, windows like the page and it sets it automatically, and u want to have the page file, because u don't have that much RAM and intensive programs would flush your available RAM quickly out.W7 know the best how to use it, better than any system before.

I would just use the msconfig to prevent the apps that u don't use much, from starting app and taking the CPU power and RAM and HDD to start when u don't need it.

The best upgrade u can do on the laptop is to install the SSD drive. The best u can do.

Well, I burn through 16GB of RAM easily.
Anyway, u can try to increase the priority to above normal.

unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Lol the question is with what?
I don't use many heavy programs the only thing I wanna be able to run is that emulator which runs ok but i just thought that using much more than just 22% of my RAM would surely improve the program's performance...

unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
yeah it has but i already put everything on the good setting with good FPS and good graphics, it doesn't have much graphic settings.
That's why I wanted to try and get some more efforts from the system itself... otherwise why do i have 6GB RAM for?

I misunderstand u first. The app must be optimized that, but there is some other bottleneck and there fore there is no need for more RAM usage.

Especially on the laptops, as they are optimized for the long battery life than a performance.

But check the games forum, maybe somebody is using the app and can help u.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-13-54.html

unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hmm.... thanks but i just wondered if that's possible... I already read tons of guides on the program and that's how i managed to make it work properly.

I'll just try the priority thingy.

So what about the "maximum memory" under the boot tab in msconfig? I read it might help use more RAM regardless of the boot itself.
Do you know if it might work?

And I still don't understand what you explain about page file memory.
Why do I need so much page file with so much RAM on my laptop?

You probably dont - but windows does not know that - so tends to allocate a page file of about the same size as your memory by default.
Just becasue it allocated the space - it does not mean it actually uses it. Its just more efficient for it to allocate and not use, rather than allocate small and then have to make adjustments later if it needs it.

Windows Page file management in Win 7 is reportedly pretty good - so not something you should need to worry about and should leave it as "system managed".

HTH
Cheers

It just allows u to assign how much RAM will the account use and how much to reserve.

Those options are present for testing configuration options (software testing, driver testing, debugging).

Any reference to setting these options to aid in booting or increasing system performance is nonsense.

The settings are there to limit performance, not to increase it.

But keep in mind, it might use to much priority, and it can make your laptop freezing sometimes. I used to use that when encoding videos. But after the restart it will go back to normal again : )

unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Alright :)
I'll take note of that. Well lol if it makes the laptop freeze that means it works in a certain matter so it might improve the performance. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a lot man!

unknown2u

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I heard there are different emulators but this one counts as the best and most stable... I checked and everyone recommend this one.
And actually after messing around with it for a while I understand why. It's really easy to use and you can get good results with it after trying different settings.