Why are my games not running smoothly?

I didn't know what section this would belong, so I decided that since games rely mostly on GPU power I would put it here. I was playing Black Ops the other day and it was perfectly smooth. (I am using a hd6850 820/1100 core/shader) Today when I was playing the game would start at around 60 FPS and then randomly sink down to 30 FPS. It was on zombie mode on the first map, normally when I look out a window or walk by the teleporter core. I am using an AMD Athlon II x3 440 @ 3.3Ghz, 4Gb 800Mhz RAM, and a hd6850 820/1100. I am playing at 1280x1024 res. If you need anymore information I would be happy to provide it.

P.S. It feels like I have a bad connection when I play when it jumps from 60 to 30 FPS, but I am not playing online, just solo.

Thanks. :)
5 answers Last reply
More about games running smoothly
  1. Do you have V-sync on? If you have v-sync without triple buffering, it often will jump between 30 and 60 FPS when it can't maintain 60 FPS.
  2. Okay, I will look. But it is normally 60FPS but sometimes it is like 40-55 and then it will lower.
  3. 60 FPS is usually the cap when v-sync is on (although sometimes it might show an odd 61 or 62). Triple buffing can usually help smooth out the drops below 60 FPS, so they aren't as extreme.
  4. Okay, it is getting late, so I will look tomorrow and tell you.
  5. THE URGE TO KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG WITH MY COMPUTER WAS TOO STRONG... so... I got mad and broke it... Just kidding! I checked and the V-sync was indeed on. Thank you for the help. I Am not going to try it to see the performance, because like I said it is getting late. So I will tell you tomorrow.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Graphics