Solved

Intel i7 2400K SB

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
June 12, 2011 12:50:32 AM

Does anyone here know about the i7 series 2400k SB cpu? I found this cpu in auction site in my country jpn.

Just some spec detail:
-K series so it has unlocked multiplier
-LGA1155 Pkg
-3.10GHz(TB 3.40G), 4C/8T(HTT), L3 6MB, TDP 95W
-model Q12XES MALAY (engineering sample)
-Sandy Bridge D0 Stepping 32nm
-IGP might be HD2000??

The seller shows a CPUz photo with OCed to 5GHz (50x100MHz).

*Photo edited to hide seller watermark*

The price is just between i5-2500k and i5-2400, around $200.

I am planning to build mainstream desktop refresh that can live for another 5 years (this CPU + GFX).
Should i go with this cpu because of available HT that may promise enough multi-threading power for future software?
Or should i wait for new AMD cpu for another months and see if their same price CPU performs same like this SB?
I would not go above $200 for just a CPU (CPU+GFX+MB<$600).

More about : intel 2400k

Best solution

a c 213 à CPUs
June 12, 2011 1:09:08 AM

I have not heard of Intel releasing anymore CPUs, not even any K editions. If its and ES, that means it just might have come with a unlocked multiplier but ES versions are normally for mobo makers to test and that means this CPU might have errata that can be very bad.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy it since it will have no warranty and returning to the reseller would probably not happen.
a b à CPUs
June 12, 2011 4:27:38 AM

There is no such thing as the 2400K commercially, so I wouldn't trust it. Agree ^
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2011 1:04:05 AM

Best answer selected by ampes.
m
l
June 25, 2011 1:18:11 AM

jimmysmitty said:
I have not heard of Intel releasing anymore CPUs, not even any K editions. If its and ES, that means it just might have come with a unlocked multiplier but ES versions are normally for mobo makers to test and that means this CPU might have errata that can be very bad.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy it since it will have no warranty and returning to the reseller would probably not happen.

Because this CPU is ES CPU so intel doesnt announce its commercially to the public, nor give this cpu official name. By judging from its clock speed 3.1GHz (2400), unlocked multiplier (K) and HTT (i7), it was named i7-2400k.

As you mentioned, this cpu might has limited functionality and no warranty from maker, so i think i may pass this. Thank you a lot for your advise.

Should wait and see how amd bulldozer will show its cost/performance, and then make decision for my system refresh.
m
l