Sandy Bridge for video production

ellman121

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
So I'm building a computer for a primary hackintosh, and light video projects for school. No hardcore gaming, but maybe a little CoD, nothing too intense. So, gaming aside, should I go with the Core i5 2500K or Core i7 2600K? I will be pairing whichever one I go with with a Radeon HD 6870, and a P67 Motherboard. Which should I go with, and keep in mind this is not a primary gaming computer. I intend to OC with whichever I go with, so do I need more threads/HT cores, or just faster clock speed, which will be easier with the i5 because then I could spend the extra $100 on some more fans, and liquid cooling. If somebody could give a solid explanation of what the i7 has over the i5, in means of a video computer, and which one I should go with, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Video production is one of the only situations in which getting the 2600K would be conceivable. More threads -> better conversion, processing etc.
What do you mean by "light" video projects? If you're not doing intense stuff with a big budget and a cruel deadline, you might as well save the $100.
I don't think cooling will be a problem when you OC - liquid is definitely not a necessity. It's not an issue for most people. That shouldn't be a factor in your decision.
Video production is one of the only situations in which getting the 2600K would be conceivable. More threads -> better conversion, processing etc.
What do you mean by "light" video projects? If you're not doing intense stuff with a big budget and a cruel deadline, you might as well save the $100.
I don't think cooling will be a problem when you OC - liquid is definitely not a necessity. It's not an issue for most people. That shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Solution