Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst SSAA, 5850, and tf2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2011 7:20:17 AM

ok, i've been having some issues with my aa options so i fiddled around.... I've come to find out that ssaa is the source of my fps drop in tf2 (obviously) but here's the catch, i can play edge detect 8xsgssaa with no problems whatsoever. I thought it was a dx9 thing, but then i see some people playing bioshock dx9 with it just fine.....my fps is avg. 120 with edge detect 8x adaptive multisampling in tf2, but sgssaa drops it to 40, haven't tested out other source games, but wtf?

More about : catalyst ssaa 5850 tf2

January 7, 2011 7:26:05 AM

add: i can play bfbc2 8xsgssaa edge detect without any noticable fps dips, but i cant really monitor them, they seem in the 60+ range
m
l
January 7, 2011 3:24:05 PM

What are your system specs and at what resolution are you playing?
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2011 3:30:29 PM

Because it's being forced through it acts differently in different games, and in some games it won't even get forced through at all (like Metro 2033).

Not sure what option you mean by "sgssaa"...

Anyway, anytime you're forcing them through you pretty much need to fiddle with the options. My biggest beef is that CCC doesn't auto load settings for games. Although you can set a game to be loaded alongside a setting, it's a pain in the ass to set all these different profiles and have it load the game and then come back to windows or play a game that you didn't set up and it'll have the wrong settings or whatever... /rant
m
l
January 8, 2011 12:34:20 AM

SGSSAA stands for Sparse Grid Super-Sampling Anti Aliasing, the ccc just doesn't show the sg.....my specs are a phenom II x4 oc'd @ 3.58ghz (oc not issue, tested) on a gigabyte mb with 4gb ram @ 800mhz.....my v card is a 5850 1gb with an oc to 800mhz and 1150 mem (150.4gb/s bandwith via gpu-z, also tested oc, no issues) with a thermaltake 500w on an antec 900 with one extra fan and two 12" blue light diodes
m
l
January 8, 2011 12:35:19 AM

thing is, i've heard of other people run it just fine
m
l
January 8, 2011 1:11:59 AM

I don't know about sparse grid SSAA, but normal SSAA is pretty demanding. It is possible they are mistaken on their results or settings. How does your system fair with 3dmark11 or vantage? How does it fair with other games?
m
l
January 8, 2011 6:17:02 AM

sparse grid ssaa is the long name for ccc's ssaa......just a name.....the fact is, bfbc2, which is far more demanding than tf2, runs fine.....it's obviously some sort of tf2 or sourced based game issue....
m
l
January 8, 2011 6:20:42 AM

bystander said:
I don't know about sparse grid SSAA, but normal SSAA is pretty demanding. It is possible they are mistaken on their results or settings. How does your system fair with 3dmark11 or vantage? How does it fair with other games?

ummmm, no? ccc seems pretty concrete and there is definately better aa when sgssaa is on, i use net_graph 1 command in tf2 for a constant ping/ fps counter, and like i said, bfbc2 definately works, but i need to see if tf2 is the only source game with this issue
m
l
January 10, 2011 3:11:33 AM

ok, i've decided to reformat (was due for it anyway) so now I'm going to see what happens
m
l
January 10, 2011 2:20:19 PM

Well like I pointed out before, different games/engines handle it differently. I never played BF:BC2 on PC so not sure about it, but it's entirely possible that the SSAA setting isn't actually being applied in game. Unless you have truely noticed it is improved over the in game AA...

As for TF2, it's possible that for some reason it's eating up all your VRAM so FPS would definitely suck. Maybe you have some mods running? I have experienced issues with high res mods in STALKER... so, could be something like that. Maybe?

Otherwise you'll just have to use a lower setting.
m
l
January 11, 2011 4:46:12 AM

wolfram23 said:
I never played BF:BC2 on PC so not sure about it, but it's entirely possible that the SSAA setting isn't actually being applied in game. Unless you have truely noticed it is improved over the in game AA...

yes, had found this point in the game where there is a large radio tower thing in the distance, with 24x edge detect MSAA and it still contained aliasing, adding SSAA did as it is meant to....same with tf2, found a good jaggy spot on the demoman and again, SSAA made a difference, I've had the feeling that TF2 simply doesn't agree with dx11, but who knows, maybe my reformat will help (had to re'dl everything)
m
l
January 11, 2011 6:29:39 AM

well tf2 is now able to run SSAA, it was just something that had to be deleted, i bsod'd late into into it but thats because i put a little more oc on my gpu go ill just take that down back to the older oc
m
l
January 11, 2011 2:24:46 PM

That's good. Glad to hear it's working now.
m
l
January 12, 2011 4:13:18 AM

hmmm lol now the oc isn't as stable, should just be tweaking though
m
l
January 15, 2011 8:46:54 PM

well now every game i play i crash into.....cant get through a single l4d2 campaign or much play on any other game now, wtf?
m
l
January 16, 2011 4:26:34 PM

Keep working on the OC I guess. Probably have to reduce the memory speed, if I were to guess.
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:54:29 AM

lol fiddled around with cpu overclock and at first i changed it to 200 fsb and 18x multi, making 3.616 completely stable on l4d2! then on bfbc2 it bsod'd i went down to 200 and 17.5 and so far not a single crash, but according to benchmarks, the phenom II x4 should be able to get 130fps on l4d2, and getting 100 for me is not very common
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:10:10 PM

Generally FPS will be dependant on the GPU not the CPU, unless the CPU is maxing out usage (not sure but L4D is probably only using 1 or 2 cores properly so it is somewhat possible).
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:33:09 AM

not sure but the fiddling did in fact fix it.....
m
l
January 25, 2011 12:34:32 AM

wolfram23 said:
Generally FPS will be dependant on the GPU not the CPU, unless the CPU is maxing out usage (not sure but L4D is probably only using 1 or 2 cores properly so it is somewhat possible).

plus my 9600gt was able to play l4d2, so this thing should eat l4d like candy
m
l
!