Upgrade my pentium D 830 to a .......

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hey everyone, I have a Gateway desktop that has lasted me 5 years now and still runs great. The only thing i have upgraded is the video card however i want to upgrade my cpu.

I have read the sticky topics for this forum so I know that LGA 775 have limited choices.
BTW Im not very tech savy so I dont know too much about hardware.

Specs for my Comp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Processor Intel® Pentium® D processor 830

Operates at 3.0, 800 MHz FSB
2 × 1 MB L2 cache

Chipset Intel 945G chipset with ICH7R
Memory Installed: 2048 MB DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) SDRAM (four 512 MB modules)
Expandable to: 4 GB

Video NVIDIA 6200 64 MB TurboCache video card

Hard Drive 320 GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA hard drive Optical Drives
DVD +/- RW, 16X Multi-Format Double Layer drive

Up to 8.5 GB with Double Layer media
Write max: 16X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Reads max: 16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM discs

16 DVD-ROM drive
Media Reader 8-in-1 Digital Media Manager supporting the following:

Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network Broadcom 5752 GbE PCIe controller with integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
Power Supply 400 watt

Interfaces
One integrated VGA external connector (covered), one VGA connector on add-in video card
One Serial Port
One Parallel Port

Add-In Card Slots
Three PCI Conventional
One PCI Express ×1
One PCI Express ×16

Input Devices

Dimensions (H × W × D) 16.80 × 8.00 × 17.50 inches

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps----I need to upgrade my powersupply because of my graphics card.
I just need to make sure the power supply has the right connectors or is there more to it?

Also is it possible to upgrade my memory to DDR3?

Would these be viable options or are there better ones out there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115059

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Thank you for your help!!!

Solution
there are 2 e6600's, the older core 2 duo e6600 (2.4ghz 6mb cache) which you should find really cheap, and a Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6600 (3ghz 2mb cache). the first one mentioned you should be able to find really cheap. otherwise just get the e6500 on newegg for 79.99. upgrading to 4gb ram will help in windows vista or win 7 and reduce loading during games and give overall smoother experience. for xp 2gb is enough
upgraded to an x1950 pro? what year are you living in? 2003? did you get that card for free? rather than spending $80 for a new psu to run that card you would be better off getting a gt240/5670 thats faster and newer than that card and doesnt need any special PSU. and those cpu's?? your really looking to spend $339.99 on a CPU??? (not that your motherboard supports quad cores. you can get a whole new motherboard/cpu/ram combo for that. You need to give us your budget, im sure we can work something out a hell of a lot better than what you are currently looking at doing. it seems you have no idea and need serious help.

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Yes i did get the video card for free,

I looked at another post online with a guy asking the same question with the same computer as me and those were the cpu's people were recommending to him, and this was posted in February. So i came here to see what you guys thought about it.
I was most likely gonna get the cheapest one in my list, It was very unlikely i was gonna get the $399 one.

So I will definitely need to read up more if I went with the combo deal and replacing the motherboard/cpu/ ram
but if I did all this wont I now need to worry about the power supply and the casing?

My budget is around 400, but i was hoping to only spend 100 or 200

thanks

Stupido

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
wow, where did you got that update? from a museum? :eek:

sorry, don't get me wrong, I don't want to be rude or anything... :hello: just the specs you have mentioned are way too old...

so, as iam2thecrowe mentioned, you have 2 possibilities:
1) upgrade just your PSU (to support your museum grade GPU ;) )
2) just go with cheapest CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU combo for your budget...

your motherboard supports 1066fsb max. if you wanted a cheap upgrade the best way to do this is pull a 1066fsb core 2 duo e6600 or better from ebay and buy yourself a new good quality 500w PSU. If you must buy new, then this > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116093 is about the most i would bother spending on an old system like that but it will give you enough speed to play the latest games. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115059 < this is the fastest new processor that will work in your motherboard, although the extra $50 is not worth it over the other processor i recommended. te processors entioned will give you a huge speed boost compared to your pentium D. I would do it as cheap as i could if i were you, (but dont get a cheap psu or it will blow up) and then start saving for a whole new pc. the upgrades mentioned will keep you going for the time being.

monkeywrench3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
This sounds like the best option I will probably go with that Iam2thecrowe thankyou

I found the e6600 on ebay for around 115 average, would it be better to spend the extra 20 or so bucks for that, or get the $80 e6500?

I'll look later for a good psu on newegg.

Also would i need to upgrade my ram , right now I have 2Gb but I know i can upgrade it to 4, or would it just be pointless?

Thank you everyone for your help, I really appreciate it, sorry I'm not tech savy :(

there are 2 e6600's, the older core 2 duo e6600 (2.4ghz 6mb cache) which you should find really cheap, and a Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6600 (3ghz 2mb cache). the first one mentioned you should be able to find really cheap. otherwise just get the e6500 on newegg for 79.99. upgrading to 4gb ram will help in windows vista or win 7 and reduce loading during games and give overall smoother experience. for xp 2gb is enough

Solution