First Build-i5 2500k-$1200 budget

inneedofsleep

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Bullet points:

Approximate Purchase Date: This week, I've already purchased the motherboard listed below (P8P67 LE).

Budget Range: $1,200 - Can be slightly flexible here if necessary.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Casual gaming, surfing the internet, movies/photos and schoolwork.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and Amazon, though I'm open to others if I can get a preferable price.

Country of Origin: US.

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu.

Overclocking: Maybe, not now, sometime in the future.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, also sometime in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments:
I will be doing some casual gaming, nothing too intensive (i.e. Starcraft II, WoW). I would like my computer to be able to run very fast, fast boot (SSD), multitask efficiently, surf, music and video and run relatively quiet. I'd like a nice reliable case that is not too flashy (don't want any lights or obtrusive angles, just clean lines and sleek).

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - Now: $219.99

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $144.99

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - $99.99

GPU: MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $154.99

CASE: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $79.99

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $87.99

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM - $99.99

POWER SUPPLY: XFX Black Edition 750 Watt Power Supply P1750BCAG9 - $126.99

OPTICAL DRIVE: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM - $18.99

WIRELESS ADAPTER:
ASUS PCE-N13 IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64-bit/128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES WI-Fi alliance WPA, WPA2 - $27.99

-Current Total: $1,061.90

Though I do have $40 credit at Amazon which will knock some off the power supply and I might get my CPU at Best Buy as I have a couple gift cards there which would knock down the price $100.

Two things....

1) Are there any problems with my current build? I'm open to all suggestions/criticisms that will result in the end product being better, this is my first build and I'm learning this stuff slowly, I'd very much appreciate any input from the masses of very knowledgeable kind folks here. :) Fire away...

2) I'm going to add an SSD to boot my OS on, I'm just not sure as to which one as there so many, I'd be very thankful of any suggestions that would be a great fit for my current build, somewhere in the $100-200 range.

Again, any input is very much appreciated, thanks!

Hello inneedofsleep

I noticed you left out a CPU cooler in your list. Here is a NewEgg combo deal if you don't buy the CPU @ BestBuy:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...
TOTAL: $241.98

Use Promo code EMCKGJJ59 this weekend to get $10 off the 6Gb/s version:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive $89.99 $79.99 this weekend

jb6684

Distinguished
Your motherboard doesn't indicates SLI support, so, you'll need to stick with one GPU if you go NVidia

And, if you try CrossFire on this MB, with an x4 mode on the second PCI-E slot gains will be fairly minimal

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue, single at x16 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (black, at x4 mode, compatible with PCI Express x1 and x4 devices)

I'd bump up the video card to something in the newer 6000 series from ATI. Or, a factory OC'd 460 like the MSI Talon (about $170)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518

If you assume you'll be using Only one GPU, you could think about backing off to a quality 650watt supply to save a few dollars...

inneedofsleep

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
WR2, thank you so much for your help.

Doh! on my part regarding the cpu cooler, thanks for the reminder. I'm juggling a lot of stuff in my head. :pt1cable: I'll go with that cpu cooler and also grab that combo deal with the cpu, I can get the ram or something with my Best Buy credits.

Thanks for the heads up for the promo code for the HDD, I'll surely use that and every dollar saved helps.

I'm assuming I'll also need some thermal compound? Would this suffice? :

Thermal compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM - Now: $9.99

Regard the SSD, the Crucial is out of stock but the Corsair is in stock, is this the one your referring to:

SSD: Corsair Performance 3 Series CSSD-P364GB2-BRKT 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Now: $174.99

WR2/jb6684 (thank you also for your reply), I was considering bumping up the gpu a bit but was concerned that it might require extra cooling.

If I went with...:

GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - $209.99

...would it require any extra cooling besides the on-board fan or any other tweaks to my current build? If I upgraded to that 6870 could I still go with the 650w power supply that jb suggested?

Thanks!

Edit:

I did find the Crucial SSD available at Tigerdirect.

SSD: Crucial CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 RealSSD C300 2.5" Solid State Drive - 64GB, 2.5", SATA III, 6.0GB/s - $127.99

There's enough of a price difference I wouldn't mind getting it from Tiger, is there a significant difference between the two?

It's the same model SSD @ TD, it's OK to grab it from there.

The RC-690 case (excellent choice) won't have any trouble keeping the HD 6870 video card and the whole system cool with the 3 included fans.

CM Hyper 212+ has it's own thermal compound included in the cooler accessory pack. It's safe to leave AS5 off the shopping list.

inneedofsleep

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
WR2, thank you again for your help, it's much appreciated.

I'll likely do all the purchasing tonight as I have most everything set.

I do have one final kinda dumb question...are there any odd loose ends I should be aware of?

Meaning, will any of the components I have listed above require any additional cables/extensions/etc. that I should be purchasing? Will I be able to utilize all the available USB ports on my case with the included parts? Also, I have a pretty extensive set of standard tools, will putting together any of this require any proprietary tools that your average toolbox wouldn't contain?

Thanks again, you've been an enormous help.

Can't think of anything missing you'd need.

I always peek at the accessory kits that come with the main part. NewEgg often has pictures of the accessories.
CM RC-690 case / ASUS P8P67 LE MB / CM Hyper 212+
It doesn't hurt to read the NewEgg customer comments on the parts (even if you buy somewhere else). Just keep in mind that a lot of comments are things like 'it didn't work' which might or might not mean 'I couldnt figure out how to make it work'.

Mostly likely you have all the tools you'll need already. All you really need is a longer small (#2) Phillips head screw driver.
What I usually have handy:
An old reliable double ended Phillips/flathead screwdriver with plastic barrel body (non-conductive) that I've been using forever.
Needle-nose pliers and one of those spring type parts grabber.
A few nylon cable ties and some electrical tape.
And a flashlight that gets used a lot. I have one of those hands-free ones now.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.

inneedofsleep

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
PsychoSaysDie, thanks for the input and the help, it's much appreciated.

MR2, it's awesome that you're taking your time to help me, I can't thank you enough. I'm actually ordering the parts right now and added that sata cable to the shopping list. I'm going to be assembling this all next weekend when the girl is out of town and would have been bummed to have been short on parts when I'm ready to hit that power switch but you've spared me that frustration. Thanks!

I'll post an update when I get things going. :)