Sign in with
Your question

PSU problem and advice needed

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2011 1:27:35 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I just built my first complete build and had a Thermaltake 500w Earthwatts in it, but seemed to be under powered. Here is how it looks as of now.
AMD 125w Phenom II 965
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB3.0
Noctua NH-D14l
several push and pull 120mm fans
Saphire HD 5770 for now but adding another in about a month
Toshiba 6.0 1 TB HD
Segate 350GB 3.0 HD
2 combo disc drives SATA II
57 in one plus usb card reader
Mid tower Smilodon case

Here is the PSU I want to put in it > Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W. Is that a good choice? I know it is a little overkill as 750w would do, but I might add a couple more HD in RAID config. and adding that other graphics card in crossfire config.

I picked this PSU because it was modular and had good reviews on Newegg. I had bought a
Thermaltake W0319RU TR2 RX 850-Watt Modular Power Supply - 850W, 140mm Fan, ATX, Modular, 80 Plus Bronze (T925-2416)
and it was DOA from TigerDirect. I was told to stay away from the TR2 Thermaltake, but these have the same model numbers, just one says Black widow and the RMA'd one was TR2. Is there a major difference? I have searched for several days and I keep coming back to the Black Widow. So what is you all's advice on this confusing question? Someone out there ownes one of these and would like to hear how it performs for them, or had a bad experience with it.
Tom's always has people with the best advise and I appreciate any help.
March 12, 2011 1:52:19 PM

pjmoses said:
I picked this PSU because it was modular and had good reviews on Newegg.

:lol:  :)  Sorry - well, a little.

There is a way to gain useful information from a newegg review but you do it by paying attention to the bad reviews. First, total the one and two egg reviews. If there are more than 20% or at most 30% bad reviews, skip the product.

Then read the bad reviews. They will fall into three categories: those written by newbs and "don't have a clue" people, those who found shortcomings that may or may not apply to you, and those that indicate a truly bad product. Pay close attention to the second and third categories.

Here's a good example (personally relevant to me) of review inflation: the 81% 5 egg rating for the Antec 900 case. I would give it no more than 4 eggs because of the truly awful cable management. And I own three of them - all modded ... for better cable management.

The TT TR2's have such a bad reputation that I am unwilling to trust any ThermalTake PSU. Stick with Seasonic, XFX (made by Seasonic), Corsair, or Antec. Even with two 5770's, all you need is a 650 watt PSU. I estimate that a good 650 watt PSU would run at no more than 70% of capacity, even with extra drives.

Given a choice, I would choose a good 750 watt PSU. But then, I tend to deliberately overspec PSU's. I try to run my PSU's at around an estimated 50% of capacity.
m
l
March 12, 2011 2:09:07 PM

jsc said:
:lol:  :)  Sorry - well, a little.

There is a way to gain useful information from a newegg review but you do it by paying attention to the bad reviews. First, total the one and two egg reviews. If there are more than 20% or at most 30% bad reviews, skip the product.

Then read the bad reviews. They will fall into three categories: those written by newbs and "don't have a clue" people, those who found shortcomings that may or may not apply to you, and those that indicate a truly bad product. Pay close attention to the second and third categories.

Here's a good example (personally relevant to me) of review inflation: the 81% 5 egg rating for the Antec 900 case. I would give it no more than 4 eggs because of the truly awful cable management. And I own three of them - all modded ... for better cable management.

The TT TR2's have such a bad reputation that I am unwilling to trust any ThermalTake PSU. Stick with Seasonic, XFX (made by Seasonic), Corsair, or Antec. Even with two 5770's, all you need is a 650 watt PSU. I estimate that a good 650 watt PSU would run at no more than 70% of capacity, even with extra drives.

Given a choice, I would choose a good 750 watt PSU. But then, I tend to deliberately overspec PSU's. I try to run my PSU's at around an estimated 50% of capacity.

I took your advice and found this PSU @ Newegg. Tell me what you think of it?
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W. The bad reviews were mostly from poeple that had other issues and not the PSU it self and over 80% were 4 and 5 eggs. And it is modular, which is a must as my case is a mid-tower.
m
l
March 12, 2011 3:06:58 PM

Actually 5770s are power frugal enough that you can run a system with two of them on a 550W, people don't tend to go for them that much because the really good ones are the same price as really good 650W PSUs; there aren't that many options that are significantly cheaper than 650Ws.

The Antec Truepower New series are definitely good. I don't see the need to get anything more than a 650W unit unless you want upgrade options. This one performs well and has a nice rebate on it:
XFX 650W XXX Edition 80Plus Bronze Modular $95 ($30)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!