Dec 27, 2010
Hey guys, I just recently built a new computer

Specs :

XFX ATI 6950 (newest drivers 10.12?)
XFX 750W PSU (Silver Cert)
4gb G.Skill ram
Windows 7 64-Bit Home Edition
AMD 955 BE (Overclocked by 25% to 4.0)

It seems I'm having issues with certain games..namely Battlefield Bad Company 2, Sniper Ghost Warrior, and Metro 2033 at times. I can run all these games at max specs with ~40 FPS no problem...but a short time after I've started playing...there is a really strange "metallic" noise that comes over my headphones, I get massive amounts of tearing, and then the game crashes. This all happens in about 2 seconds.

Whats really strange is that I can run Mafia 2/Crysis/Warhead without any issues for hours on end. It crashes back to desktop, and when I try to load another game, or even something as simple as Chrome, I get lots of graphics errors. It requires a full restart to fix the problem.

So, any ideas?

First off, give yourself a leval playing field and reset the system to stock, that includes reflashing the 6950 if needed then retest, it is possible the overclock is not entirely stable under all conditions.
Also check the system temperatures: Speedfan for the CPU and GPU-Z for the graphics card, both at idle and under load.

LePoisson

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Alright, running those tests now, give me about an hour or two and I'll post the results.

Thanks for the reply btw.

Digital Dissent

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I dont think he ever flashed the 6950...in which case re-flashing wouldnt really be a good idea. Unless you just meant reinstalling the drivers.

LePoisson

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Ahh, so I think I found the issue, new build..and I neglected to install the sound drivers included with the board.

Played for the last hour..no stuttering or issues. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.