New build will not power on, compatiblity issues?

AMyska

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
So I'm building a new computer for my sister, and the parts are...

MSI 880GM-E41 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Rosewill R519-BK Black Computer Case w/ 500W Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL
Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB
AMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX435WFGMBOX
Link to Case and PSU

...And a DVD drive, graphics card, etc, but I dont think that really matters right now.

The point is, I cant get the MB to receive power. At first I thought it was the PSU, but I tested it and it cycled on with the paper clip test, and the voltage seemed right. I returned the MB to newegg, and they replaced it. However, I now have the exact same situation. After the first time, I made real sure I didnt short the board, never took off my anti-static wirstband, and took other precautions. But I'm still stuck with a Motherboard thats Power LED won't light up. When I plug in the PSU, the fan doesnt turn on, and neither does the MB.

I checked the power cord, tried a different one, tried different sockets to plug it into, nothing. So either I was unlucky enough to get a second defective motherboard, or something is wrong. Are all of these parts compatible, or does anyone know of something I might be doing wrong? This is only my third computer, so I could have easily missed something.

Thanks in advance.

Not a good PSU, probably. Rosewill sells a few good PSUs but that's not one of the known good ones, and the price leads me to believe it's junk.

Not that that is your issue today, but it needs to be addressed.

You need to look at this checklist and follow it carefully.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

Once you have done ALL of that your issue will likely be resolved, but either way let us know.