2nd IDE Drive

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 8, 2005 8:23:28 AM

I have a Toshiba a75-P209 P4, very recent purchase. Is there a way I can hook
up a 2nd 2.5 IDE drive to clone to? Even if it's just a rig up that's OK. I
tried putting it in a USB enclosure but the clone takes too long(5 hrs for 4
GB). I'm thinking something like a Splitter cable, such a thing?

Dennis
=================

More about : 2nd ide drive

April 8, 2005 8:42:46 AM

Dennis <EU@theeu.com> wrote:
: I have a Toshiba a75-P209 P4, very recent purchase. Is there a way I can hook
: up a 2nd 2.5 IDE drive to clone to? Even if it's just a rig up that's OK. I
: tried putting it in a USB enclosure but the clone takes too long(5 hrs for 4
: GB). I'm thinking something like a Splitter cable, such a thing?

Are you saying it takes 5 hours to process a clone of your existing
laptop hard drive and then copy it to the other drive? Can you
clarify exactly what you are doing? What software are you using to
clone?

A simple copy of 4GB to an external USB 2.0 drive shouldn't take
anywhere near 5 hours unless something is setup wrong.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 8, 2005 10:12:01 AM

Files do copy alright using Windows w/o Ghost. Yes the enclosure is powered
with USB, there are 2 USB connections, one for the power and one for the
enclosure.

Dennis
=============

>USB 2.0 is certainly the best way. At 480Kbps/sec theoretical maximum
>speed, it's far faster than the maximum speed of your drive. Even if
>the enclosure's interface is not that fast (no need for it to be), it
>should be much much faster than you are seeing. As I said, I suspect
>something is not setup right. Could your enclosure be talking at USB
>1.1 speeds? That would certainly crawl.
>
>I have USB 2.0 enclosures for desktop drives and they are very fast.
>Most laptop hard drives are certainly slower than the 7200RPM drives
>I'm using in my enclosures, but yours shouldn't crawl like that. I
>think either your enclosure is slow or setup wrong. (Is it
>self-powered off the USB port? Just curious.)
>
>If your enclosure is the problem, another possibility is getting a
>3.5" (desktop) enclosure instead and getting and IDE adaptor so you
>can stick your laptop drive in there.
>
>You could also take Ghost out of the equation by trying to copy a
>large file from the laptop to the enclosure and seeing how fast it
>is. If it's much faster than 5 hrs/4GB, you know Ghost is the
>problem.
>
>Andrew
Related resources
April 8, 2005 10:19:06 AM

Dennis <EU@theeu.com> wrote:
: Files do copy alright using Windows w/o Ghost. Yes the enclosure is powered
: with USB, there are 2 USB connections, one for the power and one for the
: enclosure.

Then how about trying Acronis True Image? I think you can try an eval
version if you just want to check performance. I use True Image and
am quite happy with it.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
April 8, 2005 10:31:29 AM

Will Do, thanx for the help.

Dennis
=============

>Then how about trying Acronis True Image? I think you can try an eval
>version if you just want to check performance. I use True Image and
>am quite happy with it.
>
>Andrew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2005 4:41:17 AM

Sounds like you were running at USB 1.x speeds. Is the USB port and the
adapter both USB 2?

Dennis wrote:

> I have a Toshiba a75-P209 P4, very recent purchase. Is there a way I can hook
> up a 2nd 2.5 IDE drive to clone to? Even if it's just a rig up that's OK. I
> tried putting it in a USB enclosure but the clone takes too long(5 hrs for 4
> GB). I'm thinking something like a Splitter cable, such a thing?
>
> Dennis
> =================
April 9, 2005 10:19:04 AM

Yes, but I'm not sure the 2.0 on the laptop is really working at 2.0. Is there
a way to test it?

Dennis
=============

In article <42572549.7070902@neo.rr.com>, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>Sounds like you were running at USB 1.x speeds. Is the USB port and the
>adapter both USB 2?
>

>Dennis wrote:
>
>> I have a Toshiba a75-P209 P4, very recent purchase. Is there a way I can hook
>
>> up a 2nd 2.5 IDE drive to clone to? Even if it's just a rig up that's OK. I
>> tried putting it in a USB enclosure but the clone takes too long(5 hrs for 4
>> GB). I'm thinking something like a Splitter cable, such a thing?
>>
>> Dennis
>> =================
April 9, 2005 8:13:53 PM

Dennis <EU@theeu.com> wrote:
: Yes, but I'm not sure the 2.0 on the laptop is really working at
: 2.0. Is there a way to test it?

I thought you said files copied at a decent speed to the drive but
cloning with Ghost was very slow? In that case, it's not the USB
speed that's the problem.

Have you tried copying a large file and timing it? Here's a rough
calculation for USB 1.1 theoretical fastest copying time:

4GB = 4000 Megabytes
= 32000 Megabites
/ 11Mbits/sec
= 2909 sec
/ 60
= 48.49 minutes

You said it took 5 hours to clone a 4GB drive...

Try copying a large file and follow my calculation above. If it's
much faster than USB 1.1, you know it's probably going at USB 2.0
speeds. USB 2.0 maximum transfer speed (in theory) is 480Mbps, but no
laptop hard drive will get anywhere close to that anyway...

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----