Can E6500 support 1333 DDR3?

MRafay31

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I have an E6500, a GTX-460 and P5QPL-AM. I'm also running 2GB of 667mhz DDR2 memory which I think is bottlenecking my system badly and preventing me from overclocking more than 400Mhz. I want to upgrade this,

my question is will my PC be able to run 4GB of DDR3 1333MHz memory(in two slots)? I checked my motherboard box and it says 1333 Mhz FSB is supported. But I don't know if DDR3 is supported or if my pentium dualcore E6500 will be compatible or not...

im totally clueless, just wanna get a cheap performance and reliability increase...

if my idea is not possible, please suggest the best alternative. THANKS.

First, DDR3 won't work in DDR2 slots.

Second, even though your FSB can be set to 1333, this does not mean your RAM speed can with the G41 chipset. Under the memory section for this board it specifies you can run your memory at 1066 O.C.

Really, upgrading your processor and chipset might be your best bet. Short of telling you to upgrade your motherboard to an X58, P67 or Z68 chipset, you probably won't see a noticeable performance increase otherwise.

It's been my experience, that if you want a real performance increase, you don't generally get anything noticeable through RAM. You generally have to get a big increase in CPU speed or move to a new chipset to see anything.

I'd suggest saving any money you have for a possible RAM upgrade for a newer chipset and processor in the future. You will live with a little grief now, but you will definitely thank yourself later.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006